Metric pitch for M8 cap screw

Want to replace the M8 cap screws that came with a chuck adapter with self locking ones. Am I correct in assuming that more than likely the pitch is 1.25mm? Have no means of measuring it.

Reply to
oparr

At least that's the default.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1118759243.470945.256820 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

If it is standard, it will be M8x1.25. If it is fine thread, it will be M8x1.0

Reply to
Anthony

If you have calipers or even a rule (they do not even have to have metric scales), then you have the means of measuring it.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

What's more likely to be used for a chuck adapter, standard or fine? Anyway, could only find M8X1.25 mm self locking cap screws so that's what was bought. I'll return them if incorrect.

Reply to
oparr

Assuming that you have no metric scales:

1) Pull two screws out.

2) Hold one at right angles to the other.

3) Count the number of threads in the length covered by the diameter of the second screw. This will give you an 8mm reference length. (Don't count the last thread crest if it lines up with the diameter -- that will give you a number one too high.)

4) If you count 8 threads, it is M8x1.0

If you count about 6.4 threads, it is M8x1.25

An alternative is to use a scale at 5/16" (which is *very* close to 8 mm. (precisely 7.9375 mm), and count as above.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The alternative is to go to your local Ace Hardware store, find the asle with the metric fasteners, and try the nuts until one fits. Then read the size off the box.

Gunner

Gunner

Metric thread pitch gauges are cheap and easy to find now... Splurge, grab yourself one. As more and more of the world is going metric, you'll find use for it, and be glad you did.

Good Luck!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Did that when I got home from work yesterday, about 14 threads for 17mm threaded length (20mm screw). It's 1.25mm. Didn't want to wait another day before ordering.

Reply to
oparr

Hardware stores typically don't carry M8X1 pitch, so this will probably be a good diagnostic, it will most likely be 1.25 pitch.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I was in Home Depot last night, looking for M8-1.25 hex nuts. They had one package, and about ten packages of M8-1.0 hex nuts.

But things were a bit mixed up, and I had to go through all the M8-1.0 packages to find the one M8-1.25 package.

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Hmm. Another example of "conservation of bustedness."

I was trying to find one pitch stuff in our local stores, and I guess they sent them all to yours. If you want any, our HD has all the 1.25 pitch ones.

I'd been going to metric and multistandard to get all my metric hardware and tooling lately.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen