Mill homing and "drills bolt holes"

Home in the center is hard to find, the mill does not know where to go (in which direction) to find home. It would then run into a limit.

My home switches are very near limits.

I set my machine so that my home is outside of the soft limits, I made sure to leave about 1/2 inches between X and Y soft limits and their respective home and limit switches.

On Z I leave myself about 1/8" on top and 1/4" on the bottom.

I would rather be generous with that buffer space, than have some stupid mishap.

Ignoramus8473

I have home in the center, but it is cleverly set just to one side of where I park the machine. So, it always goes the right way to look for the switch.

But, that is fine, too.

Well, I have my soft limits set right to the limit, as I always seem to have a project that needs every bit of travel I can get.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

A software alternative to an actual 2nd screen would be a larger virtual screen size or extra desktops or desktop pages, if your window manager or desktop supports them. (See eg .) For example, in my .fvwmrc I have lines like: DeskTopSize 3x3 EdgeResistance 0 0 EdgeScroll 100000 100000 so that I can get to any of the 9 desktops just by moving mouse off appropriate edge of current desktop, ie, no tedious clicking involved. (I also use: Module FvwmAuto 80 Raise Nop Style * FocusFollowsMouse so that windows raise automatically after 80ms when mouse moves onto them and keyboard focus automatically follows mouse.)

With such a setup, you might not have both of the windows you want to watch visible at the same time, but could flip back and forth between them just by moving the mouse back and forth a quarter inch.

For a larger virtual screen, you would change a 'Virtual' line in a Display subsection of xorg.conf, which is quicker than changing window managers or adding a monitor. With a 2048 x 768 virtual screen on a

1024 x 768 monitor you would just move the mouse to left or right edge of display to slide the viewport left or right; or with a 1024 x 1600 virtual screen over same display, would move mouse against top or bottom edge to move viewport up or down.

The newsgroup comp.windows.x is good for X Window System questions. Its subgroup comp.windows.x.kde also is active, with its motif, apps, i386unix, and intrinsics subgroups much less so.

Note, Xorg -help 2>&1 | less

Reply to
James Waldby