Minimize burrs drilling Aluminum

I have a production opportunity that involves drilling 1/2" and 3/8" through holes in 2"x 2" x1/8" square Aluminum tube. I don't know the alloy yet. The holes don't have to be burr-free but I would like to minimize the burrs without any secondary operations. The holes will be drilled with a drill press. So, I think it comes down to what type of drill bit configuration to use. Would brad-points or Forstner bits work? I looked on the web and saw all kinds of slick burr removal tools but no good answers for single operation drilling.

I bet Joe knows!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tom Gardner fired this volley in news:r- Gdne4MvKmRhjrOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Tom, you can't eliminate the "breakout" burrs. Use the fastest feed you can to get a clean chip, and you will almost completely eliminate the burrs at the top of the hole.

Son, de-burring is part of the process. Unless you put a 'waste sheet' under the material, and drill into it past the shoulder of the bit, you're going to get burrs. And then only if it's clamped so tight to the work that there's not a chance of pushing a burr between the sheets.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

A sacrificial piece of hardwood be sufficient? How about a drill bushing under the tube?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Either will only minimize burrs. They're an annoying fact of life.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, that is the title of the thread.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yes, but I read between the lines. You want total freedom from burrs, and that's a fact.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If the work is clamped securely, you can use an end mill to drill through. It leaves a lot less burr than a regular drill bit.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Jon Elson fired this volley in news:r-

2dneNJNf71FTXOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

To ensure proper chip clearing (even with center-cutting mills), you should first drill a pilot hole about 30% of the finished diameter.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:XnsA355A7A174F43lloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

I should have said, Tom, that I'm presuming you do not have CNC, and would be using and endmill as a plain drill.

If you had cnc, you could just spiral drill with an endmill and get good results.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

how about punching holes in the tube and skip the drill?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Yep!

Reply to