Workin' down Unda

Didn't take long to find work down here once I decided 'vacation' was over. Put together a resume and stopped by the largest local employer, an abattoir. That's a nice non-descript name for slaughterhouse. Walked in the gate with a resume, and by chance, crossed paths with the head of maintenance. He was impressed with my resume, called back 8pm that night and asked if I could start 8am the next morning! Turns out their fitter/turner had tendered his resignation the day before I showed up. They are in the middle of upgrading to expand export sales and were wondering what the hell they would do. Not many fitter/turners out this way...

Now, for some time I've discussed my work with respect to what's available here, and was told by most that I would be looking for a fitter/fabricator or fitter/turner job. But nobody could tell me what the hell the fitter part of the description was. So I get hired as a fitter/turner.

So, spent some time getting a tour from the outgoing fitter and come to realized what a fitter is here, something akin to a millwright in the States. Turns out I am responsible for maintaining the rendering plant, pumps of all sizes and descriptions, steam systems, shaker table, conveyors, and things I know jack all about. Water/tallow separator, for lack of the proper name - a rotary grinder that produces meal (what's left of sheep bits after all the liquids have been extracted), something called a 'cage' that I think does that separating, and a whole lot more. Main project at the moment is making what they call 'pins', these are welded along the rail that rolling carcass hooks travel, stopping them at various stations for whatever bits get trimmed off. The pins retract to allow travel to the next station. Not a single existing two look alike, and some are so worn it's a wonder they work at all. Mine look like bricks shithouses by comparison. Get to start installing them Friday when the beef line is down. There's a huge variety of work that I'll cross paths with, from repairing robots to working on stuff driven by electric motors I'd guess rate upwards of 100hp. BIG motors. There's a welder/fitter, a couple general laborers, and a few sparkies in maintenance. Outside of electrical which is strictly for the sparkies, I might get called to work on just about anything else in the plant. No boring repetition here!

Might have found a better paying job elsewhere, but with the nearest such job likely a 40-80 minute drive and fuel running close to $6/gal (approx), working 5 minutes from home is good. Probably get a bicycle and ride to work come spring. (yeah, it's winter here, and friggin cold...)

Only bummer is having to buy tools I already have, in storage there. Working on getting quotes to ship my stuff over, so trying to get by with the minimum for now. Have to say, been received better here, than many jobs I held over there. Fitting in well with both the guys my age, and the younger kids. It's obvious I'm in over my head a bit, and of course, I don't know where anything is, nor whom I need to order stuff from, the guys have been great helping me come up to speed.

Working at an abattoir isn't exactly what I aspired to, but have to be realistic. This IS farm country... But outside of living in Sydney or other urban area, it's the best match for my varied skills. Making good money, and within a couple years should have a nice shop built out back and a mill and lathe again, paid for in cash.

Jon (or Jono... lol)

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Yep mate you'll be called Jonno for sure.

Here in Oz or at least in Western Australia the trade has always been called Fitting & Turning or Fitting & Machining. It encompassed fitting plus pretty much all machining (lathe/mill/grinding etc).

The first I knew of other systems was when a pommy bloke joined a company I was with and he was a Turner and had not been trained in milling machine operation at all.

I'm surprised you need to buy your own tools. Most places I've worked trades guys are supplied with tools. Having said that most guys usually have their own favorite tools they own & take to work.

Glad you've landed on your feet.

Cheers from West Oz.

Reply to
Kennedy

If I'm lucky... Screw something up royally and I'll likely earn a more colorful nickname... lol

Hand tools, wrenches, shifters (Crescent wrench in the States), screwdrivers, etc. Most of the guys have at least their own battery drill. Thing is, it's a big plant, I walk more in one day than I did in a week in my own shop back in the States. One can be called out anywhere to fix or install something. Having one's own tools means not having to share and track down a shop tool. Not sure how much is standard practice in NSW, how much is company policy, or how much is personal preference.

Plant is in the process of being sold, lots of talk of a big expansion in the works. New head of maintenance I think is a great bloke and really wants to get on top of things, moving from reactive to proactive. He's also interested in stocking more shop tools, but big changes will have to come after the sale goes through.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

As long as they don't call you "passion fingers" ;)

Reply to
Kennedy

Sounds like a fun and varied job. Do you get employee discounts on company products? No job is ever worth the hell of living in an urban area.

Reply to
Pete C.

Just wait till Summer comes and all that biologic material gets warm!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Oh yeah, gonna be a real treat, lol. For this job, I'm blessed with a less than stellar sense of smell, but it's still going to come through....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Don't know. I like lamb, but not sure I want to buy in 100lb boxes... :)

And this is just lovely country. Crispy brown in summer, but right now it's all green, and the air is clean like I remember from my youth. No, cleaner. Wish I had my good camera with me the other day driving to work. Wispy mist over an open field, higher thin fog, and scattered clouds beyond. Sun was a bright ball just above the horizon coming through the fog, and the moon clearly visible just above through the broken clouds. Would have made a bitchin shot.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I love lamb, please sent 100lb boxes :)

Sounds like here in rural N. TX.

Reply to
Pete C.

Poor Jono. His brand new wifey may have get used to new smells if the job odiferizes him and his clothes. I sure hope not, though.

Rebuilding a pump which has been sloughing blood and entrails might not be something one wishes to do more than once (if that.)

G'luck, Jon! Even if the job doesn't last long, may it at least last long enough to fund the shipment of your tools over there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

But the dogs sure are happy to see me when I get home! LOL....

Not as bad as it sounds. Well, there is one job that I dread. Heads, hooves, entrails, etc, get dumped into a big pit. Twin auger screws feed this mess to one end, where another auger screw takes it up to the start of the rendering process. This auger has been cracking at the bottom on a fairly regular basis, and sooner or later I'm going to have to get down in there, clean out all the 'stuff', and reweld. The other decent paying job I looked at, 40 minute commute, involved monitoring a plant that removes PCBs from transformer oil. Plant runs

24/7, 10 hour shifts. I could easily fall asleep on an overnight shift. Something go wrong with the process, and maybe hear about me on the news... I do have my eye on the maintenance position where my wife works, a retirement village. Brand new facility. Current maintenance guy should be retiring in a few years, and I'll have a more than excellent shot at the job. There is an excellent benefit there, called a celpack card (sp?), a portion of ones pay, up to $16k/year available on a debit card. Cannot be used to get cash nor pay off credit cards, but can be used to buy most anything. That money is tax free. With both of us working there, that's around $32k/year tax free. And no mortgage/rent. And good pay in the mean time.

Thanks! My boss likes me, and I think I've got a job there as long as I want it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Me, too, but first ask yourself "Just how much does it cost to send a

100# box of lamb with 20# of dry ice around it from Oz to USA?" Once you do the checking, you'd probably rather have a nice $600 Kobe steak flown in from Japan instead, as it would be cheaper. Shipping from Oz is Ucking Funreal.

FedEX International First @ $12.80/lb x 125 = "only" $1,535.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Careful you're not dinner some time, wot?

Ick!

Good.

I'll bet the turnover rate there is tremendous. Best of luck to yas.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Good timing!

play it safe- it sounds like there's lots of large nasty machines to get caught up in there.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Just out of curiosity, how large a facility is it? The beef plant here is about 6500/day while the hog facility about 50 mi away is 20000/day just for comparisons...

Reply to
dpb

Yes, it's a heads-up place for sure. What's really creepy to watch is the robot that cuts the sheep carcasses. They come up on the feed chain, there's two robots with big fingered grippers that alternate plucking the carcass off the hooks, one is at the sawing robot while the other is getting another carcass. Then this giant 3' diameter blade on another robot parts the shoulders, ribs, back, and rump in a matter of seconds. It's caged of course and the infeed has a very sensitive floor mat. I've been inside once to help with the out feed conveyor. Have to remove a key from the operator panel and insert in a lock at the door. Only when this key is in place, can a 2nd key be removed, and the door opened. Still, it's creepy being in there. I do consider myself pretty heads up looking out for myself, but this environment is well outside my experience, so I'm doubly careful.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Wow, nowhere near those numbers! Somewhere around 1500-3000 sheep a day, and starting this next week the beef floor will be doing about 100 a day. The new owners are planning to significantly expand beef processing, but still not even close to those numbers. There are some big stations in Australia and I presume, much larger abattoirs. But around here, sheep and cattle run in much smaller numbers and all I have seen, are free range. Farmers alternate crops with grazing of animals.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Still there'll be more than enough to keep ya' goin' methinks... :)

No sheep around here, though.

Not surprised they're trying to expand beef processing capacity; there's been a couple major US chains recently come out w/ ad campaigns they're switching to Aussie beef. The purported reason is they can't source enough US "responsibly raised" beef but that's purely hogwash. It's clearly a marketing ploy to play into a target audience who are totally ignorant of production and get cheaper beef in the process. The implied castigation of US-produced beef is a real stink in the producing areas of the US right now...

Reply to
dpb