More cooking-Garbage Can Ribs

My brother taught me this technique and it is an essentially effortless way to cook really good pork ribs, chickens, and turkeys. I haven't yet tried beef ribs. Here's the method: Procure a 55 gallon drum that used to hold something non-toxic. Mayonaise for example. Cut the top off and save. Better yet, get the kind that has a removable lid. I paid 30 bucks for mine. Burn out any type of painted on coating. Harbor Freight weed burners work great. Make sure it's bare metal inside. Spread charcoal briquettes in a single layer across the bottom of the drum. Use the weed burner to light about 8 briquettes in a group anywhere along the perimeter of the layer. Suspend with hooks from two 3/4 inch diameter metal rods which you lay across the open end of the drum a rack or two of ribs, or a couple butterflied chickens, seasoned with your favorite rub or brine. Place the drum lid, or something similar in size, on the 3/4 inch metal rods. After a few hours the briquettes will be burned up and the meat will be cooked perfectly. Of course, depending on outside temperature and the amount and shape of the meat, like a whole turkey, this method will take more or less time. A whole turkey will require more briquettes to be added as will cold outside temps. And adding wet wood chips or whole chunks of green alder(not any bark though!) for smoke flavoring works well. I have found that Montreal Steak Seasoning, sold at Costco in large containers, tastes great when rubbed onto pug ribs. Eric

Reply to
etpm

How is Pug, anyhow?

They're kind of small, aren't they ... I'd think a larger breed would be better.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt