More on "The Case for Working With Your Hands"

Some people may not like reading a review about a book before reading the book, but if you do, the NYT has one on _Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work_, which is the book that grew out of the article we were discussing:

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Thanks Ed - I think the reviewers analysis is correct - and I was wondering how you could get from a self contained essay to a book. Its not the "real" world - more some Rousseau fantasy of choosing what you do, when you do it, and for people who are willing to pay you well for it. Wonder if he has a wife/kids/mortgage to support? - that narrows your choices considerably. Crawford is all for the "craft" industries, romanticizes them well (not sure, but did he say he could just walk out, go fishing whenever he likes) possibly like a lot of people here, where you can pick and choose your projects - he doesn't HAVE to produce an endless series of small widgets each and every day. So saying that, it was a nice read, echoes of a nicer world...

AAndrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
VK3BFA

I'm going to wait until I read it, but the review does imply that the question I had -- whether one can sustain a book-length feature about this subject without romanticizing it -- may be answered in the negative. Nevertheless, is sounds like it's damned good for as long as it keeps its head of steam.

BTW, he is married. I don't know if he has kids.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I do believe that at some point the current trade imbalance between he "west" and the developing countries is going to equalize. When that happens there'll be (relatively) more money in 'craft' work everywhere in the world, and manufactured goods won't be dirt cheap any more; if at that point we can't pick up and start doing 'real' work we're going to be a country of managers with no one willing to work for us.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

While in Africa I bought a South African copy of Popular Mechanics. It had an article about "The Dangerous Book For Boys" and its phenomenal success. It seems that recent generations of boys have been repressed and feminized and so men now lack the skills boys used to have and are averse to risk, having been overprotected and mollycoddled, even though they need risk to feel complete as men. Here's an article about the book:

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

This is something similar that I had when I was a kid.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

Yep 9 years of college to get an engineering degree with post grad studies so I wouldn't have to get dirt under my finger nails. Some how I forgot to break the habit though, and just spent the week with manuel labor, tearing down a 30X40 metal hangar. Geesh! Where did I go wrong?

Reply to
Stu Fields

Have you got food, shelter, place to live, happy?

The most important question being the last, happiness. If you have that it doesn't get any better ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Manuel labor? You had a Mexican helping you?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I thought he was from Barcelona!.

Reply to
David Billington

No, no one of Mexican descent, but as a matter of fact one of the partners in the hangar had Puerto Rican ancestry though. Does that count?

Stu

Reply to
Stu Fields

Matthew Crawford was on the second part of the Diane Rehm Show today (Tue, 06-02-2009). The audio wasn't available yet when I just looked, should be able to get it here before long though:

It was nice to hear him speak, now I have a voice and face to associate with his musings.

It should turn up here too as a Podcast (mp3 format):

DR Show podcasts are only available for a week or so as far as I can tell. Don't wait too long if you want to hear it...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

If it works for you, its fine with me! ;)

I just wish the Mexican that owns the lot next door would come cut up the tree that fell across my fence form his side, before I have to call the county on him.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That would be quite a swim, wouldn't it? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell