natural gas heater to propane how?

can a natural gas heater be changed to run on propane.i was just given a nice grainger heater for my shop, but there is no nat. gas where i am. what can be done

Reply to
WGalcik

Haul it in to your propane dealer. They should be able to change the jets.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Be sure to search through the heater carefully. It may already contain the orifice to convert to propane. It's often attached to a card with instructions on how to change it. This is very common in ranges, etc.

Reply to
Gary Brady

Yes. Ask at the propane supplier.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Call Grainger and get the instructions for that model heater, they'll tell you if and how you can convert it to Propane. Depending on the unit, you may have to...

1: Change the orfice jets from the Natural Gas ones to Propane. Look inside for a small fabric pouch or paper coin envelope secured under a screw, they often send a set of orfices with the new unit. 2: Change the pressure regulator setting - from memory, Natural Gas appliance burners like to run at roughly 4" Water Column, and Propane likes 11" to 14" WC at the burner. Some regulators have a reversible cap that switches the spring pressure automatically, some can be adjusted, and some you have to open and swap the springs. 3: Change the electronic controls, or move a wire/switch to tell it what the gas supply is. With Propane you want a positive safety lockout - if it doesn't start the cycle properly on the first or second try it quits trying until the power is cycled. So you don't build up a big pool of unburned gas in the burner, and the ignition system just keeps trying to light the burner until...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Ill have to check on this as well. I was given a Dayton ceiling mount forced air heater (similar to the old Renzers) that was never hooked up. The transformer and guts are hanging out, but everything seems to be there..

I need a replacement air pump kit for a Dayton torpedo heater. Anyone know who the OEMs were? It was 37F in the shop last night...

Thank God for Carrhart insulated coveralls....

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building? On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's? Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc. Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets. Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that "civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops" Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

37F??? I *wish* it would get that warm in my (10°) shop. Many the day I've burnt my front while freezin' m' butt at the forge.

granpaw

Reply to
granpaw

Shrug..Im just a wush living here in California. I figured I payed my dues living off of Lake Superior in Michigans UP when growing up. Now I live in the desert. Low humidity, warm (hot) summer temps, foggy winter nights..

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building? On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's? Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc. Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets. Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that "civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops" Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism

Reply to
Gunner

Yeah....nobody likes a hot wiener with a cold bun. On the other hand, I notice when my buns are warm and my wiener is cold, I get all the snuggling from the rear, which ain't so good, except the condiment containers feel fine.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Just remember - the bi-product is water-vapor into the air. So a dryer or de-hydrator is then needed :-)

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn