Need bearing source

Looking for a source for low speed bearings. Really don't care what type, a bushing would even work. The specific size I'm looking for is 1/2" ID x 1 1/2" OD The application is a steering shaft.

Thanks, Bill

Gears

Steering shaft? I wonder if you have the same problem I had. GM A-body steering shafts from 30-40 years ago used a plastic cup and steel balls.

Not strong at all. Add new wide tires and quick ratio manual steering and you have a steering wheel that moves about 10mm back and forth total.

My solution was to disassemble and press a standard sintered bronze bushing between the steering shaft and its housing (the structural pipe, not the visible steering column cover). The make a re-inforcement "bushing" by packing a section full of 5-minute

2-part epoxy.

There is NO COMPARISON to the stock setup. All of this is invisible, as it fits under the stock sheet metal.

Reply to
frank

Something I forgot to mention, the bearing needs a flange to keep it from going too far into the casing.

Reply to
Gears

Reply to
Machineman

You might consider a 2-piece solution, a bearing for the 1/2" shaft, pressed or fitted into a structurally sound filler disk.

WB ...................

Reply to
Wild Bill

||> Thanks, ||> Bill ||>

|| ||

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

I used a set of bearings from a 'shop dolly'. The local Princess Auto has sets for about $4. Used them for the 30 year old lawn tractor steering as well !

hth jay

Reply to
j.b. miller

Hey Jay,

What are "shop dollies"?? Stuff at PAL runs from real cheap for the surplus things, to definitely retail for much of the regular product lines. So, I'd like to know where or what section of the store you found this stuff in.

I'll look where-ever you suggest next time I'm at the London store. A couple of weeks back, they had a special on the $4.95 bags of 4 pieces of 1-1/2" Shepherd casters @ 99 cents a bag. Great deal!!

Take care.

Brian Laws>I used a set of bearings from a 'shop dolly'. The local Princess Auto has

Reply to
Brian Lawson