New high strength steel

Carpenter Tech announced a patented high strength steel that does not
contain Cobalt.
In fact reading the data sheet, it is a low alloy steel with high
strength and toughness.

Dan
Reply to
dcaster
Perhaps similar to X45NiCrMo4 for many applications. Seems to need cryogenic treatment for best properties possibly the high Si at work?
ddeu
Do they offer free evaluation samples?
jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
The Carpenter web site says -100 F for an hour for max toughness. -100 is cold but is about what you get with dry ice. I think of cryogenic as colder than that.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster
The Carpenter web site says -100 F for an hour for max toughness. -100 is cold but is about what you get with dry ice. I think of cryogenic as colder than that.
Dan
You are probably right about the modern definition of cryogenic. The temp they quote is presumably to allow for the use of dry ice. I am probably using the term the way I did because at work we use liquid nitrogen cooled baths for all our work from -40°C to -196°C.
Reply to
ddeu