New high strength steel

Carpenter Tech announced a patented high strength steel that does not contain Cobalt. In fact reading the data sheet, it is a low alloy steel with high strength and toughness.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Perhaps similar to X45NiCrMo4 for many applications. Seems to need cryogenic treatment for best properties possibly the high Si at work?

ddeu

Do they offer free evaluation samples?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The Carpenter web site says -100 F for an hour for max toughness.

-100 is cold but is about what you get with dry ice. I think of cryogenic as colder than that.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

The Carpenter web site says -100 F for an hour for max toughness.

-100 is cold but is about what you get with dry ice. I think of cryogenic as colder than that.

Dan

You are probably right about the modern definition of cryogenic. The temp they quote is presumably to allow for the use of dry ice. I am probably using the term the way I did because at work we use liquid nitrogen cooled baths for all our work from -40°C to -196°C.

Reply to
ddeu