New VFD/ Confused on Settings?

I just got a Sumitomo Heavy Industries AF3000 VFD for free. It is 5HP w/ a digital key board on the face of the drive. I am having trouble understanding the settings listed below. Also, if I change the Output frequency do I need to change other parameters such as the "Max. Voltage Output Frequency" or will the VFD adjust itself? Also, what do these settings all mean? I just want to be able to vary the speed of the 3 phase motor on my lathe. Maximum Hz is apparently 400. Also, even though this is a digital setup can I install a pot to adjust the frequency? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

All listed settings are "Factory Preset".

Max Output Frequency 60.0 Hz Max Voltage 200.0 V Max Voltage Output Frequency 60.0 Hz Intermediate Output Frequency 1.5 Hz Intermediate Output Frequency Voltage 11V Min Output Frequency 1.5 Hz Min Output Frequency Voltage 11V Output Volatge Limiter Selector 0000

Reply to
Steve

Without reading the manual I can't be sure, but I assume this setting is the nameplate frequency of the motor, and the Max Voltage is the nameplate voltage.

The VFD sets its output voltage for a given frequency using the motor's nameplate frequency and voltage as a baseline-- thus VFDs of this type are sometimes called volts per hertz drives.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

What is the speed of your motor? If it is near 3600 RPM (e.g.

3450 RPM), I would suggest that you leave all the settings as they are, as the rotor might not take higher speeds.

However, if the motor speed is slower, e.g. near 1800 RPM (typically 1725 RPM), or near 1200 RPM (typically 1150 RPM), then the rotor should handle higher frequencies, perhaps up to 120 Hz (which would double the speed), because the manufacturer of the motor tends to use the same rotor in multiple speeds of motor -- just changing the number of poles in the stator.

Now -- it might be a good idea to set the Min Output Frequency to 15 Hz and the Intermediate Output Frequency as well, so you can't run the motor at too low a speed. The reason for this is that the motor derives cooling from a fan on the motor's own shaft, and it gets a lot less cooling at lower frequencies. (You could use at the current 1.5 Hz for short periods -- say five minutes at a time, but for a long running job, this is asking for problems. Though you could set up an external fan blowing into the motor and running from standard line frequency to keep it cool -- if it isn't a TEFC motor, which depends on a fan inside the motor with no openings to the outside.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols