Newbie Advise urgently needed on equipment

Greetings, I handle maintance for a sewing factory, and we have gotten to the point that we need our own machine shop. There is an auction in two days in our area that has several machines that we can use. I need advice if these machines are good or not. I am looking for a lathe and mill. Most of the work we will do will be on cast iron, the size of the work pieces will be around 24" X 24".

What prices could I expect to pay at an auction? What problem areas do I look for to know if I should pass?

Thanks

Jason s t a f f @ drapes.com

Reply to
sales

Do you have 3-phase power in the plant? Most industrial quality lathes/mills will require that power.

Paul

Reply to
pdrahn

That MoriSeiki lathe looks good to me.

If it's still hooked up, see if you can start it. Run it forward and reverse--that's the handle with the black tip sticking out at the bottom right of the carriage. The off/brake is the long pedal just above the floor. Even if it's not wired up you could the spindle by hand and shift it through all the gears in the headstock to see if they are all still working. See if all the accessories are there: 3 jaw, 4 jaw, collet nose and closer. It looks like plenty of Aloris tool holders are on the shelf to the right.

Fred

Reply to
ff

Thanks for the advise. I will let you know how the auction goes.

Jason

Reply to
sales