NG to propane conversion

Can anybody point me in a good direction for converting a tappan range (model unknown, nameplate is ruined) to propane?

All the sites google comes up with are garbage.

My regulator is rated NG or propane, it says so. I can replace the orifices in the top burners easily. They're some brass piece that threads on. I've not peeked in the oven section yet.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Generally, you need to remove the orfice fittings from ALL the burners, weld the orfices shut and re-drill them smaller. Talk to your friendly local propane dealer... They deal with this little "problem" all the time.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 11:28:32 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm, Cydrome Leader quickly quoth:

Where do you buy your propane? Have them come out to look at the stove and ask them for sourcing on orifices.

AFAIK, the orifice is the only change, though the burners have to be optimized for correct flame color/burn. When I put the old Caddie (Deville, with separate oven/broiler and chromed cast iron griddle top) stove in my last house, it was already set up for propane. There was no other metering on it and the gas came from a shutoff on the wall. Burn adjustments were simple sheetmetal plates for ducting air into the burner air intake.

was a white one set up like the blue one on the left, with the glass shelf, clock, and gaudy aluminum/chrome goodies. Great old stove. I miss it now that I'm on a ceramic cooktop, though the 'lectric stove is a bit cleaner.

Looking at this site, I see that there is a propane regulator available. I may have missed seeing the one on my old Caddie. There's your source, though.

G'luck!

- The only reason I would take up exercising is ||

so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I has been years since I have done this but the easiest is going thru your friendly propane dealer. Very competitive business and these that sell appliances usually have skilled delivery employees who can do it in a couple minutes.

Reply to
Steve

You only have to hit an OLDER appliance store that sells and repairs products. Take a picture of yours with you. There should be part numbers cast/stamped into the burners. Have them order you the conversion parts kit. It includes new orifice jets for each burner and one for the oven. These just unscrew and you screw the new ones in. Hook up the propane and adjust the flames using the small adjuster screws that are inside the control stems (pull off the knobs to see them). The kit will come with an instruction sheet that will give you the same info.

Reply to
Steve W.

The catch is I live in Chicago, I don't see propane used for anything but melting tar and heating contruction sites. My issue is the fixed fees for natural gas connection exceed my actual gas usage by about a factor of 5. It's scam I'm not interested in participating in any longer.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 17:57:10 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm, Cydrome Leader quickly quoth:

Damn, CL. You'll likely pay for a tank (or the rental on a tank) and a monthly fee from the propane guys, too. My minimum use fee here is $5 (supposedly to pay for meter reading, etc.) and I pay it during the summer months when my gas use is low. (furnace only)

Your point may be moot as your gas bill likely will be high enough to avoid the minimum once you start using the stove. It's certainly more expensive and much more of a hassle to convert and use propane.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Edward Baud

I don't mind owning an exchangable tank. I own all my other gas bottles. If I don't use them, they sit there. There's no recurring charges.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I looked at the regulator today. The top cap unscrewed and there was a plastic peg in it stamped NG and LP. Pulling it out of the aluminum cap lets you reverse it, by flipping it over. and apparently that's all that's needed to switch this regulator.

yay.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader