Oddest thing in your toolbox?

There's a story about those lint-free cloths too.
Seems like there was a wafer fabrication facility that used them. Actually used a lot of them, really. Their annual budget for them was a few million dollars.
Then one of the guys on the line got the idea, that they could use them twice - once on each side. He submitted it as a suggestion, and it turned out they could indeed do that.
He saved the company about a million dollars per year. Basically by using both sides of the rag. :)
The nice thing was they had the policy that anyone who did that, got a sizeable cut of the savings.
Jim
please reply to:

Yup, GE used to do that too - called it the "Business Driver" program. (no clue why the name but they had a racecar logo so it looked good on the shirts or something). They discontinued it because, among other reasons, there was a bored third-shift tech who kept turning in things like "part number (xyz) has the same function as part number (abc). abc is an off-the-shelf commodity product, part (xyz) is custom-machined. We could save (real number - with 5 digits) per year, based on a (number) of scanners per year, by switching the 3 instances of (xyz) to (abc). This is without considering possible quantity discounts (etc etc etc)"
They'd counter with "changing the bill of materials would cost (blah), and we have a contract for (xyz) which would cost (blah) to break, so shut up and go away", and then do it anyway a while later.
After a few of those, I stopped participating.
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

And I thought I was kinky when I used it to slide new grips on my motorcycle handlebars...
"GrumpyOldGeek" And I thought I was kinky when I used it to slide new grips on my motorcycle handlebars... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Whatever turns you on, baby. However, I am not sure that is the best product for this use, or the best use for this product. I use something like hair spray for installing grips--it's slippery when wet, but not after it's dry.
Leo Lichtman wrote:

Spray paint works for this too.
Lichtman says...

Supposedly the 'final net' soulution may not work anymore. They may have changed the composition.
My favorite for installing stuff like that is alcohol.
Jim
please reply to:
Leo | Lichtman says... | > | > | >"GrumpyOldGeek" And I thought I was kinky when I used it to slide new grips | >on my motorcycle handlebars... | >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ | >Whatever turns you on, baby. However, I am not sure that is the best | >product for this use, or the best use for this product. I use something | >like hair spray for installing grips--it's slippery when wet, but not after | >it's dry. | | Supposedly the 'final net' soulution may not work anymore. They | may have changed the composition. | | My favorite for installing stuff like that is alcohol. | | Jim
I'm really fond of isopropyl alcohol, which on rubber and similar materials is very slippery but evaporates completely when no longer needed. Denatured doesn't do quite as good a job. Rubbing alcohol, which has lots of water, doesn't do it, though. Straight iso.
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 02:33:09 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"

Try compressed air. Use a gun with a small nozzle, slip it into the gap between the grip and the bar as best you can, wiggle a bit until you get some inflation, and you'll find that the grip will slide along nicely. I did this the other day with some foam grips that didn't even have an end cap, it still worked perfectly.
Wayne
in

Sterile syringes with hypodermic needles?
says...
Depends on the toolbox - at work, one of them has ping-pong balls in it.
I spent a lot of time down at Brookhaven Labs once, and you had to have your own for the table they had in one of the rec areas.
At home, it would be the stack of outdated badges for different places I've worked. Can hardly recognize the guy on some of them...
Jim
please reply to:
An old lead souvenir of the Statue of Liberty - perhaps from around the time when it first opened. It's a small mirror case with Miss Liberty on one side and an eagle on the other. I look into it and think of my grandfather looking into it, and his grandfather...They were patternmakers at the West Point Foundry in Cold Spring, New York. It's always been in our toolboxes.
Charles Morrill
Cool, an original gadget! Would think it would be bronze or somethin' though?
Tim
-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website: http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms

Squeeze bottle of mustard.
"ff" wrote: Squeeze bottle of mustard. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ And what do you use it for....drilling, tapping or eating?
Leo Lichtman wrote:

Good tapping oil dispenser. After I finish off the mustard :-)

Lipstick. If you have a sticky collet in a screw machine, it works every time, just put a little on the taper. Grease washes away, lipstick sticks. It also works on 5C spin indexers and screw type collet closers. I also have weed whacker string (monofilament line) for lining up bar feeders.
--

Dan