one more regulator question (propane / acetylene)

The gentleman from Texas got me to wondering. I just tried out my acetylene regulator on a little BBQ 20# propane bottle - fit perfectly.

Is there any reason you can't use an acetylene regulator on a propane bottle? If you *can*, then is there some reason all the propane forge guys don't? They all spend $60 on Goss propane regulators! I see acetylene two-stage regulators all the time, well built, completely rebuildable forever, cheap.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I don't know of any material incompatibilities. However, most propane activities use much higher flow vs a welding torch, and any regulator is limited in how much flow it can deliver.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

That makes real good sense to me. I've just tried 2 serious looking propane regulators both of which hold a pressure real good - until I pull the trigger on my weed burning torch. Then it drops quickly to zero until I let up. Just can't handle the flow.

I don't commonly see regulators spec'd in flow rates. I *know* the $60 Goss ones work fine. I suppose I'll try plumbing up my weed burner through my Victor acetylene regulator and see if it works OK. That should tell.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

They would be specified in BTUs/hr, which is the same thing, and how burners are sized.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Grant -

I Texas (been 15 years now or more)- I don't recall seeing a regulator - just a twist valve. I think the volume is very high - large diameter long length flame. Often shot through a screen to make more flame points for the tough spots.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
Grant Erwin

You aren't supposed to use acetylene over 15 psi on the output, so that kind of limits you with propane if you want higher pressures and your regulator is set up for acetylene. The diaphram in the regulator might perish with continual propane use if it's synthetic, you do have to use different hose material with the two gases. IIRC, you can use acetylene with propane hoses, but not the reverse. If your regulator has metallic guts, you use the right hose material and you're satisfied with 15 psi as the top output pressure, there's no reason not to use an acetylene regulator. You also need to check max flow rate specs on your regulator, the forge guys flow a LOT of gas into those units.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

I think it is the reverse, at least there are hoses marked for "acetylene use only" jk

Reply to
jk

FWIW, I've been using the acetylene gauge and hose that came with my torch for propane for a few years now. I don't know if this is "correct", but I haven't had any problems.

FB

Reply to
Farmboy

The guys that make their own propane injection systems for diesels use acy. regulators and they seem to work fine.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

The one I have - Oxygen set. 2000+ rated - I had to get a small output size so I could see the number I wanted - 20-30 psi.

Oxygen has the same thread as propane and some others so it seems.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

There are hoses marked for acetylene use only. If you try to use propane in those hoses, you'll rapidly have failed hoses. But there aren't hoses marked for propane use only. The latter hoses are marked "any fuel", and can be used for acetylene or propane. So Stan had it right the first time.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman