Opinions on 1/2 inch air drill

I have to start buying tools at my new job. Priority number one is an air drill. The guy I've been training with has had hell with Matco's drills. His old one lasted 8 years before it broke, but Matco claimed to have no replacement parts for it and he bought a new one. It lasted one year. Literally died the day after warranty was up. Matco says: he's SOL. I was thinking Chicago Pneumatic. They've got one that I can get for about $150 and advertises needle bearings. Ooh! High-tech. Anyway, anyone know if CP's drills are sturdy as they claim to be and if I'll be able to get parts later on should I need them? Any other brands/models suggested? I don't want to pay Snap-On prices nor do I want Harbor Freight junk. In-between is best.

Reply to
B.B.

I thought Chicago Pneumatic was now just a brand name for Harbor Freight junk? All of it is made in China and seems to be the lowest of the low end. Not that it doesn't work but it is not a tool you use day-in-day-out for years.

Now "old" Chicago Pneumatic stuff, that may have been OK. But now it's just a name put on the cheapest Chinese tools.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

On Tue, 24 May 2005 12:09:00 -0500, the inscrutable "B.B." spake:

CPs were great 30 years ago when I got mine. It's still working and has never been rebuilt. Although I never used it in production mode and always oiled it before use each time I did pull it out, it's never given me a lick of trouble. I just hope they're as good today as they were then. The CP had about triple the torque of anything else on the market at that time and when I used the Silver & Deming bits, I needed

-both- hands on the beastie. Let's see, that's a CP-787. I wonder if they still build it...

- The only reason I would take up exercising is ||

so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 24 May 2005 11:49:09 -0700, the inscrutable "Tim Shoppa" spake:

Don't be dissin' the best air tool mfgr around, son. ;)

Harbor Fright's stuff is "Central Pneumatic". CP is American made (or at least it always was. Hmmm...

"The CP brand, the name for quality tools and assembly systems from four of the world's major and long standing power tool manufacturers: CP Chicago Pneumatic, CP Desoutter, CP Georges Renault, CP Qianshao, CP Scanrotor and CP Techmotive, now fully integrated into one business. Together we provide you with the complete range of products to satisfy all your production needs. We have harnessed our combined R&D, engineering design, manufacturing and sales expertise to form one global organization serving you at local level yet providing the security of a large back-up organization. The end result is the most extensive range of products, services and production solutions available, from simple fastening tools, drills and abrasive tools to the most advanced assembly and drilling systems available. Whatever the application we have the tools for the job. CP - a name synonymous with quality, durability, power and excellence in its field."

It looks like the 789 is the replacement and has needle bearings. The new 788R is an 1800rpm reversible 3/8" drill. My 787 is an 1800rpm model while the newer ones are 500rpm.

- The only reason I would take up exercising is ||

so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yup, CP is good stuff. I've got a 1/2" impact wrench, 1/4" die grinder and a

1/2" air ratchet, they are all going strong after several years of use with the occasional oiling. The impact gun and ratchet were used daily while I was turning wrenches as an auto mechanic lots of moons ago in a prior life.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:16:24 -0700, the inscrutable "Lane" spake:

Ditto my zip gun. Front end work needed the best and the large CP was the gutsy one. I'm really glad I'm no longer doing that for a living.

- The only reason I would take up exercising is ||

so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ayup. You are correct.

I have several HF type air drills. They were inexpensive, work well and when they die, replacements will be inexpensive as well.

Someone should do a cost comparison between time/life/cost of a $350 air drill and a $39 air drill from HF.

Btw..they sell air drills on Ebay. Some good stuff there. Some junk.

Gunner

Gunner

Your luck is better than mine. I bought one HF air drill. It consumed massive quanties of air and still had less torque than a CP. The trigger was digital. Full speed or stop, no variable speed like a CP. I threw it away and bought a CP. This was many years ago; Maybe they are better now. chuck

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

ARO is a brand that's been used in industrial and manufacturing environments for decades. There probably isn't a better air tool than ARO.

Chicago Pneumatic might've been their equal at one point, because a lot of their air tools were also in industry, but by todays manufacturing standards, their quality has probably been compromised.

Buying from a tool truck dealer doesn't necessarily mean the tool is above average quality. They probably purchase specific units with their name attached to them, and may obtain a small amount of repair parts. Snap-On and others were selling non-USA-manufactured air tools as far back as 1981. A tool company that emerged years ago as an economical alternative to the high dollar brands was Florida Pneumatic. They were a popular competitor, and their products held up well to daily shop use. I think their tools were made in Japan. Another quality tool manufacturer was Hutchins, although I don't remember if they produced any air drills. Their made in USA tools were relatively more expensive than CP, FP, Rodac, and generics.

WB ..............

Reply to
Wild Bill

Any estimates on ARO's price range? I did a little poking around on my super slow connection and wasn't able to find any prices. But, given the market they're targeting I suspect it's a pretty expensive option.

Reply to
B.B.

I didn't see any pricing shown at the 4 distributor sites I looked at. My search was "ARO air tools" (with quotes), and the results included a reference to the ARO site (which is partnered with Ingersol Rand now).

the site has tool repair kits and service manual PDFs available

I looked at the standard grade drills PDF and saw that the drill chuck sizes are up to 3/8" capacity, but not really a problem since the chuck spindle is threaded 3/8"-24 tpi, so a 1/2" chuck will fit on easily. The production-duty drills have chucks up to 1/2".

The old drill I have hasn't seen much use in recent years, but still operates as well as it did when I got it (used) back in the '70s. Rugged old tool, no plastic to be seen on it.

WB .................

Reply to
Wild Bill

Well, I went ahead and ordered the CP drill I was eyeing. One of the guys I work with has had his since the 80's without any trouble, and the tool truck guys at our shop can both get CP parts pretty easily. Besides, the sale was about to end on it, and it would be $250 instead of $160. Oh well, if this drill is a lemon I'll give ARO a shot then. Or on down the line when I need/get an air grinder.

Reply to
B.B.

I've missed this entire thread and am too lazy to pull it up...

Give me a call and I'll see if one of my units (a bit more pricey than what you got but competition to ARO) can help you out.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill