OT computer help OT

I'm trying to install XP Pro on a Tosh Satellite A215 , keeps shutting itself off half way thru ... this box came with Vista Home Premium installed , . I put a copy of 64 bit Vista Ultimate on it last night and it too is acting weird , won't validate and I'm certain this OS is a virgin copy . Computers , sheesh !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Download a copy of memtest86. It's very likely that you have memory problems. For some reason, I've seen these show up during windows install when they didn't show up elsewhere.

Reply to
rangerssuck

A bootable CD hard drive test downloaded from the drives maker's website may help.

Or you could test the drive on a USB adapter.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I got XP to load after I took the HDD out and slaved it to another comp to format . Moot point now , it shut down on me in the middle of a bios reflash , and it's now dead , dead , dead . BTW , I have a copy of memtest on an external HDD , but no blank CD's to burn a copy . I know this can be fixed , just don't know how - yet .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I got XP loaded after a HDD format while slaved to another comp . See my reply to rangers above for new troubles . I'm pretty pissed right now .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Dead as in no lights, no nothing? It could be that the battery is completel y dead - try starting it with the battery removed. Also, try removing the b attery and the power supply and letting it sit for a half hour or so, Then try it again.

I'm pretty sure you can put memtest86 on a thumb drive and boot from that, though I haven't tried that. Another handy thing to have is Ultimate Boot D isk (google it). While it may not get you out of this situation, it has a l ot of useful utilities all on one CD.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Replacement motherboards:

Jim Wilkins

Rangers - yes I get lights , HDD and CD spin up . Just no boot screen , nuthin' . Jim , I've already explored that option , have several on my ebay watch list . I'd rather not have to do a mobo replacement , but it's looking pretty grim as to other options . The CD option might work if I can get a bootable ISO image to burn , I haven't managed that yet .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I'd be testing that hard drive on a USB adapter. Check Disk works if you have nothing else, the result is in the Event Log. Win7 is more helpful than XP.

This can find a bad or slow (multiple retries to read) area:

And Partition Master can dodge around it.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The hard drive has been tested - I have a usb device to slave drives to another comp . I used that device to do a chkdsk , then format the drive before I installed XP pro . The problem isn't the drive , it's a corrupted bios which I may or may not be able to fix . I've decided not to throw money at it by buying a usb floppy drive and jumping thru all the hoops trying to fix it , I'm ordering a new mobo . Brand new in original packaging for around 75 bucks delivered ... and no hoops . And destructions for the install are easily available on the net .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Screw it , there's a new mobo on the way . I could spend a lot of time trying to resurrect this thing with no guarantee of success . Brand new mobo , and it's going to be a lot less hassle to just replace it . Right now I've got a lot of work for the shop . Another shop here is having me do some parts , plus it looks like I may be working on some lawn mower parts ... not your daddy's mower , the racers here have been talking to my neighbor . He's had me do some performance stuff for his Mustang , his boss is one of the mower racers . Here we go !

Reply to
Terry Coombs