OT:Computer Prob-Tapping the Knowledge base

Upgrading a business low demand computer from AT MMX board. Swapped the HD (2.1g UDMA33/66 Win 95) to Socket 370 Via 600 ATX setup. Bios won't
boot the OS. The HD is detected and configured, but POST stops after successfully detecting MBR. The HD works and boots fine in the old computer. Another HD (ATA133 Win ME)boots fine on the 370 board. I have tried manually configuring the HD several ways in Bios and tried loading different default settings. Also tried HD jumpers and different IDE ports, with/without secondary drives connected. Ideas? JR Dweller in the cellar

The old drive may not boot with the newer bios of the new board. Some older drives have issues with this :/ I have a couple of old <1.5 gb drives that will not boot on recent MB hardware. The other issue is that if you have not wiped the hdd and started over with the OS, the OS will not have any drivers, or anything else for the new board. This could pose a significant problem. In all instances I have found that if a new mb is installed, that is not an *exact* original replacement, the OS will not boot due to mb driver issues.
--
Anthony

Thanks, Anthony Of course! Can't believe I missed that. The BIOS is 2000, and the OS is '95. Of course it won't have drivers that work. Also explains why Win ME (2000) does. I can boot to floppy w/cd support. I have the MB driver CD. I can read/write to the HD from DOS. Do I put the CD Win 95 drivers in the HD windows/system? If not, where? Do I need to remove other drivers? JR Dweller in the cellar Anthony wrote:

Honestly, the best course of action is to copy off any files you really need from that drive to another medium, format the drive, and do a clean install with the new drivers, if you really want to keep M$95 on that machine. Even if you copy the files over to the appropriate places on the HD, the OS doesn't know they are there, since there are no registry entries to tell it they are. Since you can't boot the OS, you may not be able to use RegEdit to try to find/change all the registry entries. Unfortunately, it's about a catch 22 situation.
--
Anthony

Simply boot the machine to the original install floppy and run the repair install from the CD. You will not loose any data, settings, or programs this way, and the install will ask you for the required drivers (which will be on the MB install CD) I suspect the video is on-board on the new MB - if not you will need the video driver disk as well. The beaty of the Intel/Microsoft consortium is virtually EVERYTHING is downward compatible.
Been doing this for a living(such as it is) for the last almost 20 years - since before Windows V1.
I do a boatload of computer work and have had little success plugging in a loaded HD to a new MB. XPP seems to be the most forgiving ME the worst. Which OS is on the drive? Anything important on the HD? Burn it to CD from the old machine. Start over with a fresh format, re-install your apps and read-in your data from the CD, it'll run so much better anyway. If you can, go to XPP and do all the updates and SPs, it's truly a masterpiece!

The impetus to do it my way is the HD has several proprietary programs which will not work if copied. The registration and unlock scheme was a total PIA to go thru when they were loaded. I stated the HD OS in my post JR Dweller in the cellar
Tom Gardner wrote:

JR North wrote:

If possible, install the drive in the machine it came from, start it up, go to control panel, system, device manager, then remove all the hardware devices you can, NOT the keyboard & mouse, they don't matter and you need them. This will minimize hardware conflicts when you put the drive in the new box. This has worked for me about half the time, otherwise, I have to start over.
Good luck!
David
Buy a new HD and use the old drive as a second drive (D) you will still be able to use your data. gary

Extremely good advice.
--
Anthony

But NOT the proprietary installed programs. None of the DLLs will be in the required/expected spots. Doing a "repair install" from a clean boot is the right way to do it. Reformatting or erasing files is not required or advised.

Boot to the system install floppy and be sure you can read the hard drive. If you can read the directory, the HDD is properly set up in the BIOS and you are all set to go with the repair install.

Can you upgrade the old box to XP? If so it will work. Otherwise, strip off all drivers in control panel/system so it uses generic. Sometimes you can boot from a floppy and reinstall '95 or '98SE and "overlay" the '95 and everything will work just fine. Install the new hardware drivers and go. You'll get it before you pull ALL your hair out.

Does it ever get to the point that you can boot in safe mode? Stan