OT: D-Link wireless router scam

I try not to post off-topic but I needed to get this off my chest, and I know there are people here who will appreciate it.

I purchased one of D-Link's DWL-922C Networking Kits before Christmas and dutifully sent in the rebate form, on the Future Shop receipt, and the barcode.

Imagine my surprise upon receiving a preprinted card which tells me that the barcode I sent is not a UPC and the rebate will not be honoured. Of course, I can send in the UPC, if I had kept the packaging.

An interesting scam. D-Link seems well aware that most people will send the wrong supporting item, since the cards are pre-printed. And so like most customers I'm stuck. I don't have the packaging, and despite having the appropriate paperwork from the store where I bought it, I won't receive the rebate.

When are computer hardware manufacturer's going to stop behaving like aluminum siding salesmen from the sixties? There now I feel better. Regards,

Bill Cavers

Reply to
mtlwright

It's more Future Shop's problem than D-Link's. Future Schlock and many other "box stores" use rebates to make the price look impossibly low. (you pay full taxes on the "before rebate" price, even if there is an "instore" rebate applied.) The rebate scam is predicated on the fact that the majority will either forget to apply or will make a mistake, so only a small percentage of buyers will actually get the "bargain" price. Total respose rate on rebates is less than 50%, from a recent study I saw in a trade magazine.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

(Rebate ripoff)

Yup. Now when I see the word 'rebate' in the store, I put my hands back to my sides and carefully back away, bugeyed.

My local retailer is now flogging hardware with a 'no rebate required' sticker.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Hey Bill,

I didn't quite follow,if you still have the Future Shop receipt in YOUR possession. If so, I'd run back there real quick with it and get my money back, then buy a "new one" on the way out, and do the process correctly. Let Future Shop get on their (D-Links) ass for new packaging..

Take care.

Brian Laws>I try not to post off-topic but I needed to get this off my chest, and

Reply to
Brian Lawson

While this doesn't provide much comfort, you should check for the serial number on the upc sticker. I know what you mean about boxes having more than one upc as I sell tools retail on Saturdays. Sometimes it can be confusing. The sticker with the serial number is almost certainly the correct sticker to send in as it contains all the important info about the product.

Because of my experience in retail, I tend to hold on to packaging for a while before recycling it. I still have the box from the Samsung laser printer for which I have yet to receive a rebate cheque. I will be holding on to the Samsung monitor box until I receive that cheque as well.

Good luck.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

I started scanning important labels and ideas off boxes - sometimes that is the only place they are.

Our two cell phones have bar codes that were needed - I had the boxes and the scan paper with the same - I store them in the file cabinet for a rainy day. No scanner - take a digital picture or two... or analog picture if film user. Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
JR North

I think this is backwards. I've been in the retail industry for over 20 years and the manufacturing/packaging industry for 6 and the serial number is almost never on the UPC label. In fact, if it is it's likely in violation of the international UPC consortiums specification. While there are several different UPC formats in use throughout the word, the most common one in the USA is the 1-5-5-1. This means the UPC starts with a CRC check digit, then a 5 digit manufacturer code then a 5 digit product code and finally another CRC check digit. The manufacturer's part number is allowed (but not required) to be placed immediately above or below the bar code within the white background box of the UPC.

Robert

Reply to
Siggy

I just inspected the box from my Samsung monitor.

The box art lists the monitor's model number (793MB) only but the box also has a sticker with the model number, serial number, type number, model code, upc code (written and bars), the "CE" log, the TCO'03 logo and the infamous "MADE IN CHINA" phrase.

I sell (among other things) Makita tools. On their power tools and machines, the label which has the UPC also has the tool's model number and serial number. This is common with other manufacturers as well.

I like it. One spot for all the info one could need. Why make it an Easter egg hunt?

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Every rebate I've ever sent in, I've got back with no problem. But then, I read directions, follow them carefully, and don't blame the vendor for me putting the wrong barcode in the envelope.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well, someone had to say it...

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Yeah, and it's usually me. I've been told I can be rather...blunt... at times.

Dave "No, really!" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I've been cheated by HP on rebates three times, all printers. Obviously when I purchase an HP product, I'm assuming I won't get the rebate. The last rebate for an Ipaq did show up though.

George

Reply to
gglines

I don't like rebates. I almost always refuse to buy something with a rebate unless it's an unbelievably good deal. Even then, I'll usually just pass it up and pay more to buy it from a store that has a real sale. Especially if it's a large purchase, you're losing money and the store and manufacturer are making interest on your money. Too bad they don't pay you credit card interest rates while they're 'borrowing' it.

As mentioned above, computer companies are the worst lot for honoring rebates. However, from what I've heard from customers recently, they've gotten a lot better. I do think there needs to be tougher laws regarding rebates. I also think there need to be laws against stores advertising 'BIG SALE PRICE' using manufacturer's rebate prices and then the 'real' price in micron letters. I've noticed that Office Max has more 'instant savings' than the other two big stores. Unfortunately, Office Max doesn't carry many brand name computer parts other than printers/ink. Most of it is Mad Dog junk.

Reply to
Xane T.

Give me a break. The guy didn't follow directions, and then comes here to bitch about them not honoring the rebate?

Sending the "wrong" barcode would be an obvious way to get _two_ rebates for the same item. If they honor the wrong barcode, then he could send in the right barcode, and get two rebates for the same item. No reason they should potentially pay out twice, especially to someone who can't follow basic instructions.

It's not like barcodes and UPC symbols are new technology, or somehow hard to recognize.

Reply to
Dave Hinz