OT-Glad it's not my project

The folks across the street are redoing their garage door that has a drain trough in front. On Monday morning they started knocking out the concrete around the drain with a Bobcat mounted hydraulic jackhammer. The crew figured it was a 4" slab with just the drain area cut deep. Last I saw of them this afternoon (wednesday), they were still working on the 24" deep, reinforced concrete slab about 8' by 15' And from the way the hammer bounces, I'd say the grade of concrete was not the cheap stuff either!

Of course, when the other neighbor tried to remove the footings for his hot tub in a 3 season porch, the crew found out that the original builder was too cheap to put in forms for the frost footing. They just dug an 8' square hole 4' deep in the clay and filled it in with concrete. You should have seen the excavotor operator's face when he hooked the corner of that and it didn't move, didn't even shake.

I'm getting punchy from 3 days of jackhammers.

Reply to
Roy J

There's no problem so big it can't be solved by the proper application of explosives... Several years ago, a fab shop nearby was expanding their building and had to remove some boulders that were too high to cement over. Small charges, several layers of heavy canvas tarps, and several dozen old car tires kept things under control.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

One way to make sure that the inspectors don't bother you - awe them with excess!

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Had an experience a few years ago looking after a building expansion. The office tennant had not relocated on time and one of the first items of demolition was the approach slab to a forklift entrance. The office (other side of an interior, drywall, partition) tennant requested that I order the contractor to take the slab somewhere else to break it up. The building manager provided messenger service for my reply, and the young lady made arrangements for relocation within an hour. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

--When was the place built? Look around for the entrance to the "bomb shelter", heh.

Reply to
steamer

At work, I once got to witness demolition of a WWII frame structure lab. Inside was a ~10' on a side radiation cubicle with 2' thick heavily reinforced concrete walls, floor, and roof, and a 1' thick plate steel door, welded into a tank and filled with lead. It was supposed to weigh 9 tons. The door swung on a full length 4" dia. piece of shafting with huge thrust bearings to carry the load. It swung smooth as silk, but was a good demonstration of inertia. I nearly destroyed the workbench behind it one day when I spent a couple of minutes heaving on the thing, then realized I didn't have time to stop it once it was moving.

I think the wrecker wore out a wrecking ball on the thing. Just the cubicle took two weeks, longer than the rest of the building, and he barely dented it the first week.

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III