OT: 'Puter prob and Q

Shop puter, Win ME. The screen was freezing after some random time after reboot. On reboot from the freeze, the Bios clock was still showing correct time. I reseated the cables, cpu and memory, swapped memory with known good-no joy. Even swapped MB with a new spare I have. No go. Finally replaced the video card. Problem solved. Just goes to show it's not always the obvious. There's some auto-dial program that's driving me nuts. This 'puter does not and never has had internet access, just an old dial-up setup. Every reboot, or if I launch a program, the dial-up window pops up, trying to connect. How can I tell which program is trying to dial out? JR Dweller in the cellar

Reply to
JR North

Hit to see which programs are running?

Reply to
Usual suspect

press control, alt +delete and look at the running programs?

Works on XP and ME

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

As the others said, start the Task Manager and start up programs until you see the dialer program come up, too.

Also check the windows dialer program (forgot what it was with all this new Win7 crap in my brain) to see if it's automated.

-- If you're looking for the key to the Universe, I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.

The good news: It was never locked. --Swami Beyondananda

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It might be a cryptic name like jusched (Java Update Scheduler)

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

JR North wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking on Mon, 25 Oct 2010 08:25:27 -0700:

I'm not sure if it works in WIN-ME, but it might...

[start][run] "msconfig" [enter] will bring up a system configuration utility that will show you what is set to run on startup.
Reply to
dan

Why not go to the "internet options", "connections" tab, and simply check off the check box that says "Never dial a connection"?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It sounds like ME is calling home to register itself.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If you have ever installed a dubious copy of any software on there, it could be a trojan auto-dialer trying to open a connection to its evil master. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

This enhanced substitute for Task Manager may be helpful:

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Most excellent, sir!

-- If you're looking for the key to the Universe, I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.

The good news: It was never locked. --Swami Beyondananda

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Having swapped motherboards and video cards could well have triggered windows into think that it needs re-registration.

Reply to
rangerssuck