9/32" square rods

I want to make some door spindles for some old fashioned door knobs.I cannot find any suppliers looking in Google.They sell ready made spindles but they are very expensive,!/4" is too small.Any ideas? thank you.

Reply to
Alex Fine

Many vendors sell 9/32" square key stock, including MSC. It usually comes in 12" lengths.

Pete Stanaitis

------------------

Alex F> I want to make some door spindles for some old fashioned door knobs.I

Reply to
spaco

I've seen spindles in hardware stores, probably not at the big boxes, though. Some of the old-timey ones had three triangular sections making up three sides of the square and a setscrew that spread them in the knob. Those tended not to come off. The latch had a matching key that went in the missing triangular section, too, check your door latches. Usually supplied with a fourth section for square holes. Some other suppliers would be restoration hardware makers(probably expensive), architectural salvage places(might be cheap), scrounging around old buildings about to be demolished or maybe an old time locksmith's shop. Some of those guys accumulate stuff, too. I've had some that had threads on the corners of the spindle, the knob actually threaded on and the setscrew was supposed to keep it in place. Never worked well, but check your knobs first. At least they didn't fall off if the setscrew got loose, which it always did.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

That's it,I just ordered 6 pieces,I didn't know it is called "key stock".What does key stock mean? Again thank you very much.

Reply to
Alex Fine

A gear or wheel can be fitted to a round shaft by cutting a slot (keyway) in the shaft and fitting a strip of mild steel, usually square. The wheel axial hole gets a matching slot, and the key transmits the torque. The square-section strips are a standard hardware item, 'key stock'. The logic, presumably, is that removing the key would unlock the wheel from the shaft. It's not a door-hardware reference.

Modern designs usually use Woodruff "D" keys (semicircular cut into the shaft, slot in wheel), though.

Reply to
whit3rd

A gear or wheel can be fitted to a round shaft by cutting a slot (keyway) in the shaft and fitting a strip of mild steel, usually square. The wheel axial hole gets a matching slot, and the key transmits the torque. The square-section strips are a standard hardware item, 'key stock'. The logic, presumably, is that removing the key would unlock the wheel from the shaft. It's not a door-hardware reference.

Modern designs usually use Woodruff "D" keys (semicircular cut into the shaft, slot in wheel), though.

Modern designs also use straight keys. Depends on how much power needs to be transferred. My Jet pump in the riverboat has 4" long keys. But those 3 impellers will absorb more than the 330 hp I can provide.

Reply to
Califbill