Living the old fashioned way

The modern way of making a living is financial chicanery and using
borrowed money in a myriad of very creative ways.
The old fashioned way of making one's living was "making stuff to
sell".
The credit crisis means that borrowed money will be a lot less
available. For now to the consumer, but later to the government as
well.
I expect that the old way will return back, which means, surprise
surprise, a bigger emphasis on "manufacturing" and likely "metalworking".
Reply to
Ignoramus26897
Yeah, but it probably will mean whacking a piece of copper on a stone, hitting it with another stone...
-- Ed Huntress
Reply to
Ed Huntress
Maybe "hitting it with remnants of CNC machinery". ;-)
Or replacing coal and gas forges with "stock certificate forges"
Reply to
Ignoramus26897
YOU'VE got copper? You lucky, lucky bastard!
Reply to
Buerste
Hang on to that worthless paper. In 50 years you can open an antique store specializing in old stock certificates from the Great Crash of '08!
Jon
Reply to
Jon Anderson
I would have to burn a part of them to survive for 50 years.
At least I have an anvil to pound on:
(weight is 340 lbs)
Reply to
Ignoramus26897
Like you were going to make copper wire brushes...
I wonder what that would be like? Probably wouldn't be good for a damn thing, though.
Dave
Reply to
spamTHISbrp
ge
Reply to
hopegrondy
Luck has nothing to do with it. Digging it out of the ground is hard work, using this wooden stick.
It's a long way before we get back to the industrial age. 'Got any spear points you'd like to trade? I can throw in a couple of poodle skins.
-- Ed Huntress
Reply to
Ed Huntress
Yeah, I saw those pics. I've got an anvil too. But... I've got Small Anvil Syndrome after seeing yours.... :)
Jon
Reply to
Jon Anderson
LOL, snort!!!
Reply to
Richard
You may have a big anvil but I have a big deck.
Wes
Reply to
Wes
Well, actually, there are enough references to such chicanery in the bible, so it isn't ALL that new!
Jon
Reply to
Jon Elson
A good position.
Reply to
Don Foreman
I want to see what clever people can make out of scrapped cars and appliances.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
They made a movie out of that. It was called "Mad Max."
-- Ed Huntress
Reply to
Ed Huntress
I suspect that left on their own, most people would soon be living more like "Braveheart"
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
Jon, I think the accepted term is "anvil envy".
Flash
Reply to
Flash
AKA 'Coyote Syndrome'. Advanced cases involve tiny umbrellas.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
Suffering from that too, but my anvil really is smaller.... or, rather...... :-[
Jon
Reply to
Jon Anderson