Trying to ID some old collets

Here are some collets I'm trying to ID. 2 5/8" LOA, 15/16" wide around the machined area at the base. No threads. I have a whole board of these, in all different round and hex sizes, plus a few odd ones like rectangular holes.

Anyone?

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Probably WW-II vintage collets for Logan's proprietary production closer, which was mounted ahead of the spindle and did not utilize a drawtube.

Reply to
Peter H.

As long as someone else is asking about collets.....

I have about 150 that I haven't been able to I.D. either. They're about .565 dia x 1.25 long with no thread for a draw tube. profile is similar to what GTO posted except nose isn't tapered and they are smaller

Also in the same box, .75 O.D. x .1.5 long and many .375 O.D. x 1.25 long (these have a tapered nose)

Yea, it's a little hard without posting a pic but I was hoping someone might at least know what to look into so I could try and ID them myself.

Or...if you can use em, let me know. I'm kinda tired of tripping over them. I'll give better details and send a pic.

Koz

Peter H. wrote:

Reply to
Koz

Reply to
waynemak

Probably fits the spindle of a turret lathe or automatic screw machine. You may be able to ID them from one of the docs here:

I just quickly scanned the Hardinge workholding catalog and the first match I see is for a Hardinge no. MP1287 which fits a Pratt & Whitney #2 turret lathe.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Brown and Sharp Dead Length collets. They go into a holder that clamps the collets without changing the length. This is an older type Ive only seen a couple times before.

YMMV

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman Liebmann

Reply to
Gunner

Hey Koz,

Hmmmmm.....without going out to the shop to measure, these might be the collets used on a drill sharpener. They would chuck into a holder collet on the machine, one collet for each size drill but. Mine has from 1/16 to 1/2 by 64ths, plus A to Z letter, plus 1 to 59 Number. They have the drill size stamped on the face of each.

Take care.

Brian Laws>As long as someone else is asking about collets.....

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Now that makes sense..there are a ton of sizes that tend to be in the wire range. I'll have to look at the markings and see if there are any old letter or wire sizes stamped on em.

Koz

Reply to
Koz

The LOGAN Nose Closer Collet AC-50 requires a collect depicted in you Post with the measurements of: Length 2.540 Rear .875 Front 1.225 th "Face .925-- certainly would be GREAT if the ones you have met thes measurements myself and others NEED them !!!! An E-Mail to myself woul be appreciated- being new to this Site I do not know if this will appea as a Group Message or not !! (the LONE Collet I have is marke Precission 480- it is VERY lonesome) Thanks Artie in Conn

-- Artie

Reply to
Artie