Overcoating metals

Praseodymium is surprisingly cheap for so strange an element ($200 or so the kilo), and has an attractive greeny-blue patina; so casting decorative beads from it doesn't seem too absurdly ridiculous an idea (though it may emerge that the overlap between chemistry geeks and wearers of beaded jewellery is empty).

It's a bit reactive, however; melting under argon doesn't seem _that_ impossible, but I don't think it would be at all safe to wear praseodymium next to the skin.

Is there any standard way of getting a really durable transparent overcoating by basically physical means (IE mechanical rather than chemical adhesion)? I suppose whatever process is used to embed objects in lucite for commemorative plaques might work, but then you've got a lucite bead with a weird green-metal blob in the middle, rather than an apparently-metal bead.

Tom (clearly doesn't know what he's letting himself in for)

Reply to
Thomas Womack

Probably the easiest way is dipping in some sort of epoxy resin. However, to even approach 'really durable', you're looking at probably a millimeter of epoxy. If MP is low, you could pour it into a glass sphere - but then you wouldn't likely get a patina.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I have no idea if this would work, but perhaps you could try clear powdercoating.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Dipping in thinned shellac works for brass

- - Rex B

Thomas Womack wrote:

Reply to
Rex B