Enco granite surface plates not so cheap any more

Back in 2007, I posted about the 12x18 granite surface plates for $25 with
free UPS "shipping" (85 lbs of stone packed loose in foam peanuts or air
pillows) from Enco:

At some point these have gone up to $79 currently.
Maybe Enco figured out that it averages three tries get one delivered intact
when you pack them in air pillows.
By the way, I diamond-sawed the intact parts of the chipped ones I received
back then, yielding a half dozen 2x18 granite straightedges, if anyone wants one
for the cost of shipping 15 lbs priority mail.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch
Wow, I haven't looked at the prices for years.
I bought mine way back when Enco still had local stores. Went to the one in Tukwilla, WA and it was packed in wood fiber that looked like wheat straw. That was packed tightly in a wooden crate, which I still have! Put hinges on lid and store power generator cables in it.
Hard to reuse today's packing material.
Also have a cast iron/steel surface plate from Boeing Surplus.
Paul
Reply to
KD7HB
Anyone in California need surface plates..Ive got them from 12x18 to 24x36
Cheap enough. Some on stands, some bench top
No imports. Standrich and Microflats
Gunner
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it, or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate results." - John Tucci,
Reply to
Gunner Asch