OT - Pure Gas

Myself, and aparently many others. Find that the new "10% ethanol" motor fuel gives about 15% less fuel mileage. I don't see a lot of advantage to planting, harvesting and distilling to make a fuel that provides less mileage. Wish I knew where to buy the old style gasoline. Well, now, here is a list of stations that provide the old style gasoline.

Now, you can know, also.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ethanol in a case of vodka: 12 bottles * 750 ml/bottle * 80 proof (40 percent) = 3.6 liters = 0.95 gallon.

Ethanol in a 30-gallon pickup truck tank filled with 10 percent ethanol fuel: 30 * 0.1 = 3 gallons.

So the US federal goverment now literally requires that every fillup also include a mandatory minimum purchase of the equivalent of 3 cases of uncut vodka.

In 1933 it was a federal crime to produce, buy, sell, or even transport ethanol.

In 2010 it is a federal crime to transport yourself without ethanol.

Under federal law the identical industrial product is to be priced at $1/gallon if it is destined to go into an engine, versus $50/gallon into a belly.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

It's=A0taxed=A0differently=A0too. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Taxed or subsidized. Hence my statement, "is to be priced".

Q: What's the difference between Jack Daniels and motor fuel?

A: The former spends a few months in oak barrels.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Hardly "new" at this point. Those living in smog-check areas already have suffered with it for 10 years or more. And the latest is that Congress just passed some more green legislation that allows up to 15% now in "regular" gas. Mechanics will love it. Haven't seen that yet, but coming soon to a pump near you. Already have E85 around here, not that that many folks can burn it. As far as straight gas, I usually can find mine outside the major metro areas, usually tagged one or two octane points below the lowest grade of gasahol and the same price. It's that way all through NE and IA. I find that the "lower" grade gives me a little more zip on hills and about 10-15% more mileage by the car computer. It's all just green theater, politicos looking to say they've done Something and ADM fattening on your wallets.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

The energy of ethanol relative to gasoline A. 76,000 = BTU of energy in a gallon of ethanol B. 116,090 = BTU of energy in a gallon of gasoline C. .655 = 2/3 = GGE of energy in a gallon of ethanol. A / B. D. 1.53 = Gallons of ethanol with the energy of 1 gallon of gasoline. D = B / A.

Corn Ethanol Takes More Energy Than It Makes

Government policy at it's finest! MikeK

begin 666 xlink.gif M1TE&.#EA"@`*`*(```!E_P!ESF.:SIS/_S&:SO_______P```"'Y! $```8` M+ `````*``H```,E6%K0OD0L-@%9(.@`!@Y*5PQ7QGA#(YB#D((7. *%7$^W &LNU+`@`[ ` end

Reply to
amdx

A couple years ago one of the car magazines did a test comparing power outputs and fuel economy between straight gasoline and a 10% Ethanol mix. Regular engines using the 10% Ethanol mix showed slight power increases but lower fuel economy. However three of the cars that had supercharged or Turbo charged engines not only had more power but showed an increase in fuel economy also. I remember one of the three cars was a Subaru WRX and IIRC the others were a Saab and a Ford.

DL

Reply to
TwoGuns

I don't think 10% ethanol should give more than about a 5% increase in fuel use. Ethanol has about 1/2 the btu's of straight gasoline. So, if 10% of the fuel burns twice as fast, and the other 90% burns at the "Pure Gas" rete, you have 95% of the fuel economy by volume.

----I don't like the idea of turning food into fuel either. Corn, which used to sell for around $2.50/bushel is currently going for around $5.00 around here. That's gotta hurt the price of fed beef, corn bread and corn syrup and on and on and on.

Pete Stanaitis

------------------

Storm>

spaco

Turns out that all corn (maize for our UK friends) isn't the same.

The kind that we produce now isn't 'eating corn' that we enjoy with BBQ for example. The Monsanto variety must be extensively processed before it becomes a food / fuel ingredient.

I expect that it isn't a zero-sum game where an acre of real corn cannot be planted because the land must be used for this new "corn".

We apparently can't get rid of the stuff quickly enough and any price increase is made for entirely superficial reasons.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Number 2 yellow field corn IS what is fed to the animals we eat. A LOT of it. It IS the same stuff that goes into ethanol.

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
spaco

Otherwise referred to as "dent" corn. Sweet corn is the common table fare at BBQ's etc. DL

Reply to
TwoGuns

Dent corn is also what is used to make flour, grits, corn meal, high fructose corn syrup, and many other human consumed items.

Sweet corn is what you eat as frozen corn, corn on the cob, and creamed corn.

It's also the corn that you see on the trade and futures markets as "exported corn"

Using it to make a fuel additive which causes a LOT of problems is stupid. BUT it does keep those politicians in the corn belt in office...

Reply to
Steve W.

Yes. It's not the same variety found in the market for people to eat.

Yes. See the first four paragraphs starting with:

"A fifteen thousand bushel per hour grain system screens the corn for rocks and cobs before being sent to one of two 225,000-bushel storage bins." To begin processing, (...)"

Apparently we are in violent agreement. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yup.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yup. After extensive processing. You won't see dent corn, per se, for sale in your local supermarket.

Yup.

That'll be what I learned today.

And allows us to kid ourselves that we are doing something effective about our consumption of offshore oil. Makes me wonder why all the harvesters, trucks and processing plants aren't alcohol - powered.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

The thing that amazes me about some of the "green" folks is how they complain about genetically modified foods and then talk about using more corn to produce ethanol. Guess they don't realize that the "corn" we have today is a completely genetically modified item regardless of where they get the seeds.

"Corn" as we know it never existed until it was selectively bred through the years, it's original form was a 2-3' tall grass that only grew in Mexico.

Reply to
Steve W.

They don't understand that "selective breeding" IS "genetic engineering."

They get images of monks in monasteries, patiently hand-pollinating selected plants, vs. some "evil scientist" in a lab coat, surrounded with glassware, doing some sort of witch's brew experiments in test tubes, and raving,

"It's Alive! IT'S ALIVE!!!! Bwahahahahahaaaaa!!"

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

So, if you believe it's the same thing, and therefor safe, explain WTF kind of selective breeding will lead to mixing MOUSE GENES with CORN?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That's still selective breeding - we're just bypassing the middleman! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In my '07 Subaru, I get about 24 mpg using 10% alcohol scam gas. Using regular unleaded, I get about 28 mpg.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch