peening to tighten thread

I am finishing up a bench for a Southbend 9B. The top is strapped at the ends with bar stock and bolted through with 1/2" - 13 stock.

The last 36" length of rod has a thread on which the nut runs "loose." There's too much play and I'm not in a position to take it back.

Can I improve the grip of the nut by slightly peening the thread on the 12" - 13 stock - at select places ?

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks, - Carl H.

Reply to
choffmeyer

You own a lathe. Make a tight fitting nut.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Thanks Karl.

- Carl H.

Reply to
choffmeyer

Or, if you want to use your peening method, try shrinking the nut you have. But, ya, making a nut would be best.

Reply to
Ed Huesers

Put a stover nut or a Nyloc (or other prevailing torque) nut on it.

Reply to
clare

Ayup..Karl is absolutely right

Easy to do

Gunner

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer." Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013

Reply to
Gunner Asch