Pencil making photos

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 15:15:04 -0500
<snip>

We shipped it down there of course ;-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_cutting
Looks like Norway shipped world round...

Before my time. I can just remember talk of the "meat locker". Kind of in between times I think. Neighbor worked there and my folks would use their service to store stuff. Pretty sure I have an old ad for a local one in an old Plat book.
I started working in earnest as an electricians apprentice. My boss/owner would do repair and new for local fruit growers. I remember quite vividly going along to scope out an upcoming job and walking right into a bad ammonia leak. Those were some big compressors. It wasn't unusual to see 40, 60 and once a 120 hp three phase motor running them... There was three of us as I recall and we all just scattered in different directions simultaneously without a word said :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

In case you avoid Disney-princes movies, "Frozen" opens with traditional Norwegian ice-cutting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euh4wvNZ8PA

The little boy and baby reindeer are major characters later.
On 16/01/18 20:15, Ed Huntress wrote:

Are there many ice houses around these days? I can remember going with my dad in the early 1970s to the ice house in Huntington Long Island for ice and IIRC they produced it for ice dispensers and mostly for fishing to keep the catch cool. They produced big blocks of ice maybe 1' x 2' x 3'. Maybe these days they just do it on board and the old ice house has been developed on.

There are a few around. Along the mid-Atlantic coast, I think that most of them serve the fishing fleets, as in your example. The last time I was tuna fishing at Montauk, L.I., which was maybe 15 years ago, we had big blocks delivered by truck.
But it wasn't my boat, and I didn't inquire about the source of ice.
Going back about 25 years, my uncle and I got our ice and our chum from the same place -- an old ice house in Perth Amboy, NJ. It was the same deal; they delivered it by truck, so I never saw the ice house.
--
Ed Huntress

    [ ... ]

    My father used to drive us by an ice house (yes, it was made on site) to pick up a cubic foot of ice to be chipped into drink coolant as the day's sail went on. I saw something like 1x1x3' blocks being moved around. This was in the late 1950s. At some point we shifted over to bagged ice, perhaps because the ice house closed. (My father is no longer with us, so I can't ask.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

That 1x1x3-foot size is the one we had delivered to my uncle's boat. We'd get two blocks for the fish cooler and chip one up in the cooler. If it was really hot or if we were riding out to the Hudson Canyon, we'd get three blocks, and wrap canvas around the ice, the cans of chum (if hot) and/or the bait (if a Canyon trip).
--
Ed Huntress

The TV just ran an ad for a public demonstration at a still-working ice house. http://www.musterfieldfarm.com/events/ice-day
-jsw
On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 08:52:46 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Hey, that's entertainment!
I asked my dad what people did for fun in the wintertime in New Hampshire. "Shave quarters" was his reply. <g>
Actually, I'd like to see that again. I was too small to know what was going on when I saw ice being cut at the pond in Bayside.
--
Ed Huntress

I barely remember ice houses, we used to get ice from the one in Angleton, Texas for making ice cream.
Dad came to Texas in their model T. He told of hearing a veteran speak on the horrors of war in elementary school in Nada, Utah. The veteran fought in the civil war.
We had Dad's 98th birthday party a couple weeks ago. He's really slowing down.
Pete Keillor
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 12:45:28 -0500, Ed Huntress

One of my earliest jobs was washing sawdust off of 250 pound blocks of natural ice and moving it into clean storage for the next day's delivery or on site sale.

You're our bit of living history, Gerry. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 01:22:19 -0500, Ed Huntress

I was ten years old when we got electric lights.

Well, that beats the heck out of me. But I did ride home from the hospital in my dad's Model A Ford. I sure wish I had it now.
--
Ed Huntress

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 00:48:15 -0500, Ed Huntress

I took my driver's test in the family Model "A", My Dad traded up by 30 years for$300.00
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 12:33:52 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

One of my first jobs was dish washer in the Ice King's summer cottage. At the time (ca 1968) it was a country club and event venue. Looks like it's a country club in name only these days. http://nahantcountryclub.com/nahant-country-club-history/
The big icehouse on Lake Quannapowitt (mentioned in the Frederic Tudor article) was on the edge of the lake 'til the early sixties. You could buy block ice there, though I doubt it was lake ice at that time.
--
Ned Simmons