Pencil sharpener

I needed a pencil sharpener today. I already have one but it's only good for ordinary pencils. I have a thick silver pencil - more of a crayon really - that I use for weathering the edges of panel lines on models and it is too big to fit in the sharpener. So, as I was passing by a Woolworths today, I popped in to see what I could get. I thought that one of those big plastic pencil sharpeners that kiddies have would be suitable.

I was astonished to find that there were no pencil sharpeners on sale at all. Neither were there any pencils. So, I asked an assistant. I was told that the shop no longer sells pencils "because of health and safety". They are scared that a child may hurt themselves on a pencil and so the shop from which the pencil was bought could then become criminally liable.

I still don't know what to think about that...

Anyroads, the newsagent two shops down had no qualms about selling me a big purple pencil sharpener with a gonk sat on it.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

anothe fine american leagcy reached the homeland. welcome to frivolus lawsuit land. watch that hot coffee!

Reply to
someone

"Enzo Matrix" wrote

They should obviously sell pencils with safety caps on. Covered in orange-and-black "caution - hazard" tape. And an alarm if you remove said cap.

Or here's another idea: Sell them unsharpened.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

I could really care less about the sharpener, but what I want to know is where did you find a Woolworths Store at? I had been under the impression they were all closed out many many moons ago.......I know the last ones here closed up probably 20 years or so ago.

Reply to
Super Glue

Come on now Enzo, admit it. You just wanted the gonk didn't you?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The British stores were taken over by the Dublin-based Kingfisher Group and run under the old name. There are three in the city where I live including two smaller ones in the suburbs.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Ahhhhhhhh so Woolworths is only a British thing now then. I know I have not heard of a Woolworths or Woolco in many years and what I heard was right, they were all closed up and out of business. Used to be one of my favorite places to spend my money at.........

Reply to
Super Glue

he's an aussie or brit. they just died in the u.s. the one's in the boston area were all really prime real estate and brought mind numbing prices. the cool one in brookline village is yet another cvs....

Reply to
someone

I'm in the UK. There is a Woolies in every town.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Can't be an aussie guys as Woolworths is one of the biggest chains of stores we have. They at least sell pencils and sharpeners in our stores.

Reply to
Kev

Woolworths are like a rash in Australia they are every where ,they even have Woolworths service stations (gas stations to our US friends)they teamed up with Caltex to help scalp the motorist .Spend $30.00 or more in a Woolworths supermarket and get 4 cents per litre of fuel at a Woolworths/Caltex service station.Of course the prices in the Supermarket is adjusted accordinly to compensate the price of fuel.

I often wonder why they are still called service stations as there is no service like the old days ,where an attendant would check your oil level water level and air in your tyres ,and then clean your windscreen. You check all the above your self and fill your own tank. These days there is only one attendant just there to take the arm and leg it takes to fill your tank.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Enzo Matrix wrote: : : So, I asked an assistant. I was told : that the shop no longer sells pencils "because of health and safety". They : are scared that a child may hurt themselves on a pencil and so the shop from : which the pencil was bought could then become criminally liable. : : I still don't know what to think about that... : It means there are too many lawyers infesting this dirt ball.

Q What do you call a lawyer on the moon? A An accident

Q What do you call 100 lawyers on the moon? A A tragedy

Q What do you call 100,000 lawyers on the moon? A A good start.

Anywho, it is amazing that I managed to survive child hood. Guess it was all due to a lack of chinese made toys...

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

A week in Japan taught me to appreciate what used to be here. True gas station attendants, trained, efficent and polite to the extreme. Same thing everywhere.

Let's get a law passed that every employee in every company in the US has to work in Japan for a year before working here. :-) It sure would put an end to the nasty ass, ignorant, insulting, untrained, rude pieces of human dung that seem to be the norm in American business today.

...and yes, that includes the dipstick at the cell phone store that thought she could make up the rules from mist until I called her boss and got her ass fired.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72