"Museum Quality"? - HA!

"...I see an increasing number of model ships sold on Ebay described as 'Museum Quality'. I have yet to see one so described that actually WAS museum quality..."

Continued:

dave1

I've actually been to a couple of museums where the models look like they were made by a one armed monkey...............no ofence to you one armed monkeys.............I'm sure you're good at other things.

Reply to
Ian Maw

Get over yourself.

Reply to
cschultz

the air force museum in ohio had some of the best i've seen. the sac museum in nebraska, too. they were all donated, too.

Reply to
someone

I agree. I have visited a couple of maritime museums lately. While they both had some really nice models, both also had some that were of lessor quality. The problem is that museum curators may not always be as up on the technical details of a ship, plane, car, etc. as are many modelers. There is a trend towards museum directors and curators being strong in business and management, less strong in the field the museum represents.

Also, there is a big difference between knowledge of history and knowledge of history of technology. I think as modelers we are more interested in the technical details, over the details of what happened when.

There is also the big argument in model building about building "pretty" models versus scale models.

One of the genre I build is model ships. I find more people who model old ships from exotic pretty wood, and varnish the wood, than those who paint the models in authentic finishes. I see some of these varnished works of art in many maritime museums. Personally, if the ship (prototype) was painted, I paint it. But that is not a universal feeling.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

take a look at his other ebay posts...lol

Reply to
eyeball

eyeball, this clown needs immediate transformation to a pile of horseshit. instead of selling it, he could be made to do some ral work by feeding real life.

Reply to
someone

Regardless of the original poster's proclivities he does have a point. My favorite one was the Tamiya M60A1 with front wheel drive...

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Maybe so, but check this out - read the description carefully (notice that this thing isn't going back on the road either cheaply or easily), then check the bid history; I'd say he definitely scored big on this one, if the starting bid is any indication:

(And for those of us so dumb we still use Google to post to Usenet, what the hell is up with this annoying CAPTCHA thing you have to do now?!)

John

Reply to
jthmpson

snipped-for-privacy@arvotek.net wrote: : : (And for those of us so dumb we still use Google to post to Usenet, : what the hell is up with this annoying CAPTCHA thing you have to do : now?!) : The CAPTCHA is supposedly to keep 'bots from posting, but the whole technology has been shown to be flawed, and 'bots can now get around them.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

perhaps i've gotten a bit cynical and suspicious in my elder days, but this has a bad smell. to me, it smells like 1200 lbs of rotten ripe spoiled and festering dog shit. it's dead, dented and has zero warranty. is this so rare that it doesn't matter or has the collective intelligence level of the human race gone down to minus numbers? i really can't believe this one.

Reply to
someone

is ebay really that easy and stupid?

Reply to
someone

For some of us it is more cost than intelligence. My ISP does not support Usenet very well. I tried third party newsgroup servers. The free ones were terrible. I know I can subscribe to pay ones. But for this retired guy, I pay enough just to get basic internet service. I will not pay more for Usenet. Google is at least better than my ISP.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Exactly what I have tried to say. Now if only google allowed blocking the kooks...

Reply to
eyeball

models museum quality. Unfortunately quite a few got into museums so people have used that as a litmus test. I have been building for museums for over 20 years please visit my website at

Maybe their should be a committee for quality in museums to bring up the quality. Those on evilbay are selling them but the buyers are getting what they paid for. Lower price means lower quality Just my two cents cheers John Geigle

Reply to
John Geigle masterpiecemodels

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote: : : it's dead, dented and has zero warranty. is this so rare that it doesn't : matter or has the collective intelligence level of the human race gone down to : minus numbers? : Well, as the poster at despair.com say:

"Meetings: None of us is as dumb as all of us"

and

"Idiocy: Never undersstimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

But, as for that "EV S-10", just because I have not heard of such a beast does not mean it never existed.

Supposedly, all Saturn EV-1 (hideous things!) were lease only, and when GM felt their point was proven (don't ask!), they were all collected and scrapped. However, there is at least one around Austin - I see it occasionally. Just like all Beech "Starships" were supposedly leased, at least one is in private hands. So, I guess that GM could have made an electric S-10.

Of course, I would not have spent $21k to find out what kind of pig in a poke this thing was. But, Jay Leno might have decided to add to his collection...

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

isn't there a guy with three starships for parts plus his daily flyer? same guy bought all the spares out? he says he can keep t least one going for 20+ years. i don't think all the rest are gone yet. rufus, there any still parked out your way? really sad story...so close.

Reply to
someone

I used to work with a dude that was heavily involved with electrics (Reliance, if I remember right) and he told me about the finished products he drooled over - the US vehicle company(s) bought all the rights/patents and buried them. After the Asian companies (Honda, Toyota, etc.) started being successful, the same US vehicle companies had to buy that stuff back and look like they are going to be buried anyway, if the stories about Ford/GM turn out to be accurate! And if you got a chance to read the "Starship" story in Air & Space mag a few issues back, you can see short sighted-ness and stupidity is not limited to vehicle makers in this country. It makes you want to knock heads together in many areas.

Reply to
Andrew M

Depends on the quality of the museum................

Reply to
frank

I say it's your model, do as you like. Many, many ship modelers prefer to use wood and let the colors of the wood suggest the painted colors, and they look great. Maybe the most famous Victory model is the one by Longridge, and the subject of his "Anatomy of Nelson's Ships." It looks wonderful. I say go for the wood and the transparent stains.

Reply to
rwalker