Pictures of a double hook that I welded together

No, it is exactly as I said, 1/4 of a square inch. 0.25 square inch. Two 1/2x1/4 areas in the smallest cross section.

Ahh. That's better.
Joe Gwinn

Unofficial motto of Crane Component Company:
We stand behind our work, but not under it -- and neither should you.

Boy did you catch hell. I assume you know to never get under a lift. Nuff said.
Wes

And here is a reminder why not http://www.break.com/index/cable-fail-destroys-huge-jet-engine.html

We have a service company inspect our hoists every year. So far no incidents. Still, I eyeball the situation before I perform a lift. Stuff happens.
I *always* operate on the concept that it is likely to fail. If the load needs stabilizing, I use a tag line so I can stay away from the thing in case it falls. I'm very squishy.
As far as Iggy, I'm fairly confident he understands physical properties well enough to know if his setup is safe for what he is doing. If nothing else we have reinforced that you don't get into the squish zone no matter how substantial your lifting setup appears to be.
Wes

It is safe because what I am doing is far below the ultimate strength of this assembly. Thanks Wes.
Wes wrote:

This site pretty well defines overhead lifting and the use of the proper equipment to do the job.
http://www.jrclancy.com/Downloads/TrimChains-ESG.pdf
John
On Sat, 1 May 2010 14:04:57 -0700, the infamous "anorton"

That one worker is sure lucky he bailed when he did. I wonder if he heard the twang of a cable wire starting to detune...
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

I have seen many failed lifting hooks and accessories, and can think of at least half a dozen due to welding. The loads I have seen dropped due to bad welding range from about one tonne to 110 tonnes.
It looks like the welded hooks were G30 hook they may be more weldeable than G80 lifting gear. If you want to weld hooks to a plate, weldable hooks are readily available for the purpose, why not simply use the right item.
I can think of several people who never worked again as a result of poor lifting practices. If you are hand slinging you are too close for comfort if the chain or hook fails.

They were G30 hooks.
Nice work. Looks handy. JR Dweller in the cellar
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 20:57:16 -0500, Ignoramus9191