Got Pumps ?

Send 'em to Millington Tn . Levee on the navy base breached , up to 12 feet of water in places on the east side of town . Our son and DIL were among those displaced , looks right now like all they got out with is the clothes on their backs and their pets ... and a Dodge Durango that's been half full (over the seats ...) of water .

Reply to
Snag

I lived there when going to electronics school in the Navy. We called it Mud Flats then. Guess they will call it that now too...

Reply to
cavelamb

They may call it closed ... We've heard rumors that over 80% of the buildings on the base are damaged/destroyed . What we do know for sure is that the trailer our son and d-i-l were in has been totally underwater - tainted with sewage and gasoline . We figger it's a total loss . I don't think I would really want anything outta there .

Reply to
Snag

Are we talking about NAS Memphis? If so, I was there once upon a long time ago.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Yup , that would be the place . D-I-L and I rode out there this afternoon (son's at work) and it's pretty bad . Some roads still under water , all the creeks and rivers are still over their banks . And the stench is horrible , there was sewage in that water ... the trailer park they were in has been quarantined . We've heard rumors that over 80% of the buildings on base are damaged/destroyed , but that's unsubstantiated . We do know that the water was over the railroad tracks . There are piles of rock along the roadbed to keep it from washing out ...

Reply to
Snag

I never knew it was in a flood zone.

I heard over 16" of rain has hit the area. That sounds like a monsoon instead of a storm.

Heh Dad, be glad you can help them out. Hopefully you can quickly move them out too after it is over. ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

We just found out it hasn't even been declared a "disaster area" . Mayor and other officials are now claiming the levees did NOT breach - in the face of videos that show them breaking . FEMA "might" be here in 7-10 daze ... meanwhile there is also a rumor , unsubstantiated , the the Corp of Engineers opened the flood gates ... and that some people were warned what was coming . One Millington PD was reportedly seen early in the morning loading belongings into several trucks . Might be time to retain legal counsel ...

Reply to
Snag

IIRC, you got 16" of rain. That would drown the place with the levee's intact.

FEMA should be there. TN is getting equal coverage with Gulf Coast and the oil slick on FoxNews. At work I was seeing your pain on CNN on the tv in the lunchroom.

I know things are bad in TN from up here in MI.

Wes

Wes