Touchpads

    --Well here I am again using a computer with a huge hole I've worn in the touchpad. I'm thinking the people who engineer these things must have
girlyman hands! I've got enough of a grubby index finger, probably sintered with metal chips by now, that I can't own a laptop for more than a few months B4 I wear a hole in the touchpad. I've figured out that the only reason the crummy plastic cover over the metal beneath is there is to prevent moisture from screwing up the pointer 'resolution' so what I've been doing is cutting the cover completely off, then laying down a couple of strips of electrical tape. Trouble is: the feel is a little different and not as slippery.     --Curious to know: has anyone come up with a better fix??
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Come see my stuff
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : at Maker Faire!!

The usual touchpad surface is Mylar (polyester); you can get gummed Mylar sheet and Xacto-knife cut patches to the right size and shape. When it wears, peel it off and put another on. Your electrical tape (or contact paper) will be a vinyl compound, with a different feel.
Easiest source is to google for 'polyester label'; that'll find ya printer-size sheets of material for this purpose.
whit3rd wrote:

If you must experiment beyond that (why?) try Small Parts -- http://www.smallparts.com -- they have all sorts of different plastic sheet.
--
Tim Wescott

Yes.
Simply use a decent quality mouse and fuck the touchpad
Gunner
Gunner Asch wrote:

Second. I absolutely hate the touchpads and I don't know why the public doesn't just rebel and demand joybuttons like they have on all the business laptops be standard on the consumer laptops as well.

A lot of us feel just the opposite. If we had to use the damned eraser instead of a "real" pointing device, we'd give up on the machines.
(BTW... all the DELL laptops I've owned came with both)
LLoyd
On Sun, 02 May 2010 15:04:11 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

The "joybutton" on the Lenovo / IBM products is a "joy" to use. Most of the rest are a PAIN. The only DELL computers I use are ones someone else paid for. I refuse to spend money for them or to put cash in their pocket.
On Sun, 02 May 2010 15:04:11 -0500, the renowned "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

I often drag a Trackman along with my 2.5lb netbook. ;-) Gets rid of RSI, and practical even in an airliner seat in economy.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104156&cm_re=trackman_wheel-_-26-104-156-_-Product
The touchpads are okay for very occasional use, but not more.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Sun, 02 May 2010 18:53:16 -0400, the infamous Spehro Pefhany

Those are pretty nice, $28 at Wally World, but my all-time fave trackball is the Logitech Trackman Portable. It stands up like a rounded monolith with the ball (and 2 buttons) on the left side and the left button on top. The little tabs on the ball retainer ring keep breaking on mine. I've gone through 4 cords and 8 retainers over the past decade and a half. I may try one of the finger trackballs they're importing from ChiKongWan these days. $11/free ship on eBay.
Or maybe I'll just go down to Harbor Fright and buy a mill, then make my own ring retainer towers, damnit. Then I could fix all my old trackballs. 'Bout time, huh?

Ayup. J-mice are the same.
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

    Aluminum, or plastic?
tschus pyotr
I've a new (to me) laptop, and after the first long session, I went bought a mouse. I'm considering one of the roll up keyboards, too.
On Sun, 02 May 2010 19:09:00 -0700, the infamous pyotr filipivich

Prorry prastic. I'll mill new posts with thicker retainers that won't break.

I've recently seen those on eBay for $8. Sucha deal! Let me know how they feel. I haven't seen one in a store.
I moved away from mice about 15 years ago due to carpal warning twinges. The ache went away that day.
Question: Why did the idiot put the keyboard legs on the wrong side? The -front- should be lifted to alleviate carpal stress, not the back.
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

    I saw one in a story - $24. I'll look for a store closer.

    "It made sense, at the time." A universal answer which explains many decisions, particularly when years later the person being asked has no idea why the decision was made that way in the first place.
    I have a network cable, but apparently one cannot simply plug it into the two ports on computers and make a simple home network. Now _that_ is dumb. I'm updating the Sneakernet protocols to work with a thumb drive. "Windows - it just works." - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Pins 1,2,3,6 irc are what the signal goes in and out on. You need a cross over cable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable .
Actually a hub or multiport repeater would be easiest.
Wes

A "crossover"/"data transfer" cable can be had for relatively little.
I got mine at a Wal-Mart but just about any moderately-stocked office supply or computer outlet should have them.

Called a "passive hub". Got one. (made it)
LLoyd

    "relatively little" depends on whose relative just died. B-)

    Wally world wants $40 - I said "I'm sure I can find a less expensive alternative". Sneakernet has served me well over the decades.

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Order up an item# 3638535 Ethernet crossover adapter from Frys.com for $3.99. This is a little female-male RJ45 block with crossover wiring so you can put it on the end of any normal Ethernet cable to make it a crossover cable. You can also buy dedicated crossover cables for $6-$10 in normal and retractable versions, but the little adapter will be the cheapest and most versatile.

Cool. Now I've a reason for a field trip. - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
pyotr filipivich wrote:

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productidV63
$4.09 each, or 10 or more at $3.89 each.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Tue, 04 May 2010 11:15:33 -0700, pyotr filipivich

RJ45 plugs are about $0.12 each and Cat5E cable is about $0.06 a foot.
One end is orange/white orange, green/white blue, blue/white green Brown/white brown, and the other end has the orange and green pairs reversed. (one is wired to "A" and the other to "B".
I can buy 8 foot ready made crossovers from my supplier for $8. Same price as a straight through.