ping Karl Townsend

Karl I found this post while searching for an answer to the same problem you had several years ago. Were you successful in running your 440/3 air dryer in this manner? Steve

Karl Townsend wrote:

I bought a 440 three phase air dryer. Didn't know until it got home that it > doesn't do 220 3 phase. > > What's best system to convert power for this unit? > > I'm asking now because I see a fairly cheap 440 VFD unit on ebay. I'm > wondering if some kind of step up xformer and VFD is the way to go. > > Karl

(response)

Cap ( snipped-for-privacy@thegrid.net) The task can be accomplished by using a 'donor motor' that is normally doing the job of single to 3 phase conversion. Normally people call it a rotary phase converter. Obvisally the load needs to be figured, and any heater loads dropped down to 220/1 if possible. But is you just want to look at the 'package' conversion.. here goes.. Electric motors of the three phase garden variety type are usually 9 lead star connected 220/ 440 voltage. One of the interesting things about electric motors are that they are rotating transformers, that also can make shaft horsepower. So if you properly connect the motor and put 220/3 into it you can get 440/3 out of it. There is your cheap 220/440 transformer. But you need 440/3, so now we need to make the electric motor into a rotary phase converter, and also wire it as a step up transformer.... So we need to kill two birds with only one stone... not that hard... (snip)

Reply to
Steve Peterson

Nope, the dryer is sitting in the grove rusting away. Tried to sell it, no bites.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Did you give any thought to swapping the compressor out for a single phase?

Reply to
Steve Peterson

This would be the thing to do alright. But I don't need it that bad. I've found that turning the AC on high dries the shop air out enough not to give water in the air line problems. AND a nice cool shop.

If or when "the Kid" starts running production on the large CNC machines, an air line dryer will be needed then.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I tryied to email you i did not get the bandit working yet the problem is the frount panel some day i will get to it lots of irons in the fire .Now i am fighting city hall. Penna has a new law uniform construction code i am trying to get it repeled i know good luck !!!!!!!!! I cannot take a shit sideways without a permit... I have many projects thay all come together one at a time

Reply to
HaroldA102