Pitfalls of a diy electric water heater?

Guess that's one reason to be happy my hw tank is in the garage.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I watched a TV show presentation (probably TOH this old house) which included a visit to a site where old cast iron bathtubs were stripped and recoated with new porcelain. The raw material was a powder/granular substance.

Very hot temperatures were involved, but it likely could be done to a vessel such as a new pressure vessel similar to a propane tank.. although full surface area coverage could be a bit more challenging, and the proper cooling rate may be a bit of trial/error.

So the project could potentially be a DIY as far as welding the neccessary fittings to the tank, and finding a company to do the lining.

I'd be my guess that many similar tanks are stock items for several industries, such as chemical or food processing.

Regarding the MythBusters water heater launch.. I strongly suspect that in most modern home plumbing systems, various components would fail/leak/burst before a launch took place. The results would still be very dangerous, but would effectively prevent lift-off and penetration of multiple layers of construction materials.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

The heater elements burn out like any other and cost about $50 to replace. Since the tank is insulated plastic the thermostat senses the water temperature through the 1.5" diameter solid brass plug on the special element.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins