Plating for Cast Aluminum Parts Chrome or Nickel

According to the Antique Automobile Club of America judging standards, Oldsmobile started using chrome plating in 1925, the rest followed suit in

1928. I have heard of chrome plating as early as 1848 for jewelry, but it had problems. My 39 and 40 Grahams have a lot of Stainless Steel trim and chromed white metal.
Reply to
Stupendous Man

Thanks Roger, I was having a difficult time remembering what the company name was.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Yep, we got the Don mistaken-identity-error (CRS) squared away DoN. Thanks again for the additional info. I could see the practical usefulness of tin and nickel, for a lot of items. I'm not too impressed by chrome, even if it was simple and easy.

As far as attractiveness of flashy or cool-looking appearances, colors in anodizing tend to be more impressive to me.

At the other end of the spectrum, I find black oxides, patinas and oxidation more attractive on lots of items. I think the rich, dark colors of dull-looking brass (dark brown) and copper (almost black) more attractive than highly polished and coated with a protective clear finish.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Discovered that when using a lash up to try to build up an arbour that I'd made a thou undersized last year... Ended up with a still-undersized arbour and a nice piece of copper foil :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

To correct an error that may confuse someone, some day.. the 3.5" diameter Dumore motor is actually 1/30 HP, and not 1/3 HP as stated earlier.

Reply to
Wild_Bill