Pony Motor - Was Intnl Crawler

I remember the pony motor on an old D4 Cat we had at the company where
I worked summers during college. I'm trying to remember the sequence
of operation and was hoping somebody would tell me what each step was
doing. There were two levers near the pony mother as I recall. You
first put lever #1 in a certain position, and then started the pony
motor, and watching till some guage went up to a certain level (40?)
Then you pulled in the second lever, engaging a clutch to turn the
diesel over. Once the diesel started the clutch was disengaged and
the pony motor shut down. What did the first lever do and what was
going on when the pressure was building on the guage?
RWL
******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******
Reply to
RWL
i think 1 was a compression realease for the diesel on the d4d & 1 was the clutch for the pony motor engagement
Reply to
Wwj2110
RWL wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:
I can't answer for that particular machine, but our farm tractor worked as follows:
Lever 1 was a compression relief for the main diesel engine Lever 2 was the clutch engagement for the pony motor.
Sequence of start was:
1. Open compression bypass (lever 1) 2. Start pony motor 3. Engage pony motor clutch to turn main engine 4. Close compression release (lever 1 back to running position) 5. When main engine starts, release pony engine clutch.
Reply to
Old Fangled
1 open gas valve to pony engine. 2 make sure clutch handle is up and tyranny is out of gear. 3 open compression on diesel. 4 set throttle and choke on pony. 5 start pony adjust choke and throttle. 6 make sure diesel fuel lever is off. 7 put tranny in gear and slowly engage clutch. 8 Let the engine run a bit to warm diesel. 9 Very fast slam close compression leaver and open diesel fuel leaver. 10 If diesel started Shut off pony. 11 make sure pony tyranny's out of gear... 12 Shut off pony's gas line.
Reply to
Kevin Beitz
Kevin got it right. I spent 42 years with the nation's oldest Caterpillar dealer and have cranked D4's and others at least 20000 times. Probably more. I would add that the first thing to do is to make sure the main transmission is out of gear. You don't want it to start crawling while you are leaning over the track
Reply to
E. Walter Le Roy
Is "Pony Motor" US English for "Donkey Engine" in real English then?
:-) Steve
Reply to
Steve
Ahh. Two countries divided by a common language. It looks like the emoticon is indicating you say that tongue in cheek.
I assume the two terms refer to the same device. In the US, a pony motor refers to a small gasoline auxiliary engine used to start a diesel engine. I've never heard it used in a different situation, but I couldn't say there isn't a second meaning for "pony motor" in the US.
What are some of the other items for which the two countries use different terms? Lets see...
UK >> US
Silver Steel = high carbon steel (or tool steel)
Paraffin oil = Kerosene.
******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******
Reply to
RWL
Up here in the frozen north I have often heard them refered as "pup" as in SOB perhaps
Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
Also, silver steel = drill rod.
Jim
Reply to
jim rozen
I've also hear of gasoline auxiliary power units (APU's ... usually a DC generator) referred to as "Pony Motors" .. also as "Little Joes". Usually these are used to charge batteries, or run auxiliary equipment when the main engine is not running. Such an APU can be of assistance in starting a larger motor, though it's not mechanically connected to it.
Dan Mitchell ============
Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell
Steve wrote;
Is "Pony Motor" US English for "Donkey Engine" in real English then?
A donkey engine is a term that describes a winch used for pulling or hoising. There are usually a set(s) of windlasses to wrap a rope around to pull, hoist, drag, etc. The winch can also be used to pull the donkey into position.
Bob
Reply to
Bonza
In the mining biz they call those tuggers.
Reply to
hmHAT