PowerTwist Plus belts on Delta table saw

Slowly I am cleaning up my father's old Delta power saw. The V-belt it came with had to be 50 years old, and vibrated badly. The replacement from the local auto parts store was a lot better, but still very noisy, and one could see the belt slapping back and forth (resonating) quite violently. This at 1750 rpm. Both pulleys are the same size, and fairly small (so the blade can be raised the greatest distance above the table).

Belt resonance and vibration is a well known problem with table saws and woodworking equipment in general, and the standard fix is to replace the standard endless-loop V-belts with belts made up of multiple interlocked links, usually those made by Fenner, the theory being that the vibrations are turned into heat by working the links against one another as the belt slackens and tightens in response to the resonance.

So, I replaced the $5 generic V-belt (1/2" wide by 33" long) with 33" of Fenner PowerTwist+ size A/4L (5' cost $29 from Amazon.com).

What a difference it made. The vibrations are gone. Reportedly, this will yield smoother cleaner cuts, and I believe it.

It does a nice job on aluminum plate, but the plate has to be clamped to a sled running in the mitre grooves to make straight cuts. As it happens, the sleds I made for the bandsaw fit perfectly.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I have been wanting to buy a power twist for a few years, one thing that helps for those of us that use a regular v belt is to just lift the motor, and slip the belt off when we are not using the saw.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

The intent being to keep the belt from taking a set while sitting? I'm sure that this is true, and the 50 year old belt vibrated very badly, but the brand-new solid V-belt also vibrated badly enough. I suppose it could have taken a set while in a cardboard collar awaiting a buyer.

Anyway, I think that the $15 link belt (half of $29 for 60") will last forever, and absolutely solved the problem. Just as all the woodworking folk said it would.

Why are you waiting to buy?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Keep forgetting I want one when I'm ordering. I put it in my amazon shopping list though so I'm sure amazon will remind me ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes