Profile cutting lathe bit

I have some aluminum "A" belt profile V belt pulleys to make from 6061
T6. Could the grooves be plunge cut (one at a time) with a single
cutter ground to an A groove profile? The lathe I have is a Leblond
19" with a CX tool post so the tool setup can be fairly rigid. I'm
after a reasonable surface finish without having a cleanup pass with
another tool. worth a try?
Reply to
oldjag
I tried doing just this with my 10EE a few years back. I had a bit of chatter, so I used a cutoff tool to rough out the depth in the center of the groove, worked great.
Reply to
Karl Townsend
I Think I'll give that a try karl.
Reply to
oldjag
It's a function of cutting length (length of edge actually cutting) and rigidy of your lathe. A simple way to half the cutting length is to make your form-tool smaller than required, plunge cut and then move left and right to get the right width.
You have to know how rigid your lathe is.
Nick
Reply to
Nick Mueller
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:6O1Kh.127570$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...