Grizzly 13X40 lathe drive belt-POOR !!

Anyone else sick of that sorry B section drive belt that probably uses

1/2 hp just goin around the motor pulley---(This is on the geared head version)

I replaced mine with a new multigroove serpentine belt-using junk yard automotive parts -The pi** poor chinese motor will now spin the chuck at top speed,,

If enough people are interested I'll tell how----Jerry

Reply to
jerry Wass

Well fill us in...............I have a GHB 1340 so I am all ears! Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Well---First you find yourself a '85-'90 +- Lincoln,Ford ,Merc. etc--- Then you find a power Steering pump pulley puller----(they's real clever, these Ford engineers--the pump is bolted onto the back of a bracket & the pulley is installed with an installation tool on the front side!!)---If that ain't enough, one of the bracket bolts is hidden behind the pulley !! BRIGHT SIDE--this is the maximum size pulley that will fit in the space alloted by the lathe..and the grooves are usually not worn hardly'tall..

While you're there, pull the alternator pulley too---these are usually worn, so-- Go toalternator shop or parts house, & buy new pulley, or make mandrel & clean up grooves in alt. pulley with a 20deg tool----Watch out!! summa these alt pulleys have been bent in handling.. This is about the smallest pulley available, but, the ratio will still be higher than the original V belt. system.(lathe turns a little slower).---while you're at the parts house,getcha a 060385 multi-groove belt--Check back-- that # is from memory---itsa 6 groove 38.5" belt--(Gates)

Then bore pulleys & cut keyways-( english sizes just need a little shim stock to make a snug fit for metric bores in pulleys)

You need some washers/spacers --1/4 to 3/8" shim out behind pulleys & a few more on top.--You will need a tight fit on one of the washers, as there is very little shoulder on shaft..--be sure & make sufficient washers before final assy, or you will be going back & forth with drive belts to make parts as you go..

You will have to install belt on big pulley BEFORE sliding pulley on shaft.

NOTE-NOTE--Automotive multigroove pulleys will NOT > >

Reply to
jerry Wass

I don't know the specific belt you're using, but the belt or the packaging sleeve might have a K associated with the size (and 6 for 6 ribs).

I was looking for more detailed info on ribbed belts last week, and somewhere at this site there is a Goodyear PDF file that lists the thicknesses and rib spacings for the different series of ribbed belts.. H, J, L, M and PK.

The automotive belts I looked at are the K series (which may actually be the industrial designation of the PK series), but I was looking for the specs for a J series belt so I could make a motor pulley. The rib spacing on the J series is .092", and they're thinner than the Ks.

What was really surprising to me was that some ribbed belts are available with more than 200 ribs.. wuuf!

Reply to
Wild Bill

Reply to
jerry Wass