Push in -- pull out fastener ?

I have an aluminum faceplate that mounts to a chassis and I don't want any fasteners to appear on the front surface of the faceplate.

I'm after a nice clean look.

This chassis will mount in the wall.

I've looked everywhere (you name it fastenal, specialty hardware places etc), for a type of fastener that I could use that would allow me to PUSH this faceplate into some chassis holes and have it stay there with a sturdy grip.

Then, if you want to remove the faceplate, you grip from behind and PULL it out.

It sounds simple, but believe it or not there isn't anything out there.

The closet thing I've seen with potential are plastic "pine tree" fasteners.

The aluminum faceplate is also pretty thin -- just 3/16" thick.

Any help? thanks

Reply to
mkr5000

can you epoxy super magnets to it, then have it stick to something behind it? choosing different magnets would give a strong/weak bond.

Reply to
charlie

Yeah, I use magnetic strip on something else that's similar and it works nicely -- I may look at that again with this -- thanks for the reminder.

Trouble is with this, it could be easily tampered with -- really need something stronger.

Reply to
mkr5000

One thing is for sure -- someone needs to do a fastener like this.

I was thinking something that has spring action like this, I-- push in >, it grips pull out <

(limited by the ascii keyboard)

the arrows would both collapse together.

Reply to
mkr5000

Use the right magnets (not rubberized strip junk - rare earth) and suitable hunks of steel for the them to grab, it will be very strong. Not hard to get 100 or 200 lbs of force required to pull something off with modern magnets and good design (flat surfaces that mate well, enough thickness to provide a good magnetic circuit, no wiggle room to slide rather than pull.)

If it needs to be "tamper proof" anything that suits your push in, pull off specification is subject to tampering. Get over the faceless panel aspect and drop a lock cylinder in it if you want some tamper-resistance. Or get all cutesy with stepper motors, threaded studs, and nuts - wind it up or spit it off by remote control. Just hope the remote control keeps working...

Or use long screws from the opposite side of the wall, with weird tamper-resistant heads if you want the people who tamper with it to need to go buy a set of tamper-resistant drivers before they get to tamper with it.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

How about the push latches like you see on cabinets and such? The ones that you push in and they latch push in again and the item pops up and can come out.

OR if you want something hidden and tamper proof use a reed switch and a couple small solenoid latches.

Or even simpler would be a couple of steel rods set in channels and moved from the outside with a good magnet. Think a small version of a barrel bolt latch.

Reply to
Steve W.

Put pins on the back of the faceplate - stick through holes with plastic inserts or put "t-nuts" or "speednuts", whatever you call them where you are, on the studs to hold in place.

Reply to
clare

I've seen something like this, they used a knobbed-end pin and a sheet metal grabber that sat in a hole. The pins were welded to the removable piece. The sheet metal parts were just inserted in suitable holes, had spring fingers to keep from being pulled out on the opposite side. Now where you can get such things these days, I don't know. Check the industrial electronic supply places, Allied Electronics used to have a lot of that hardware when I was a kid.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Speaker grill fasteners.

Reply to
Steve Walker

3M VHB tape. Something similar is available to secure trim onto automobiles. Might be easier to find at you auto supply store. I have used the 3M tape to hold things for machining.

Dan

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Google "tinnerman" clips. A d98460-051m, for instanc, will take a .51mm thick "blade" 2X15mm and hold it in a 8.5X15mm square hole

Reply to
clare

Tinnermans again - Tinnerman speed clips - tubular speedclip

Reply to
clare

More dart-clips here than you can shake a stick at

Dave

Reply to
XR650L_Dave

Awesome --- Steve hit on something -- speaker grill fasteners.

If I can find some thin ones, that may work !

Glad I asked, that one escaped me.

Reply to
mkr5000

and thanks for that EFC information -- great selection.

they may have it.

Reply to
mkr5000

Two possibilities: velcro, and adhesives (I'm thinking of replaceable foam-tape adhesive, actually). How often does the faceplate have to come off, anyhow?

Reply to
whit3rd