Quick Couplers (Pneumatic)

I was in Harbor Freight today and they were having some sort of huge sale as it the line was so long I refused to stand in it. But they had a couple of displays of quick couplers for air tools. I grabbed a male and female and tried to stick them together. Wouldn't go. Noticed they had a couple of different sized on the male side, but the female side of the connection appeared to be the same size.

How does this work? I thought there was only one size for quick connects. Are their multiple sizes and are some compatible with each other?

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

There are multiple sizes and multiple types. I seen many poor quality couplers of the same size and type fail to couple because they are simply outside the allowable tolerances.

Reply to
tomcas

Barry S.wrote: (clip) Are their multiple sizes and are some compatible with each other? ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Isn't that a pain? It's not so much that they are different sizes, as different patterns. When I know I'm going to buy quick connects, I always bring along one of the males. The females look pretty much alike, but it you hold up the different males next to each other, you will find (probably) three different patterns. And, no, they are not interchangeable.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Is there a semi-universal "standard" size or style for say typical for a 1/2" impact wrench or automotive application. Auto mechanics move from shop to shop and take their tools with them. It seems like it would be really problematic is they couldn't "plug them in".

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

Speaking of cheap couplers... when I was a kid, I 'busted tires' at the local Sears auto center.

They had 4 tire racks, with 2 huge hose reel's over them on the ceiling... maybe 20' off the floor.

Those couplers were always a mess, racks were lowered on them, they were driven over, used to fill tires (without a chuck) and on and on.

One day, they put on new cheap female couplers, from where I don't know. After a week or so they were worse than the old ones, all bent up and leaking. Then someone popped an impact off one, and the female coupler didn't close. Of course there was 4 customer's cars, and 4 or 5 people within range of that flailing (175 psi iirc) line, yours truly included. I was lucky, and didn't get hit, but 2 others ended up with some nasty welts, it could have been much worse. All 4 cars took a good beating, lots of broken glass and body dings, before one 'hit' knocked the coupler closed. None of the customers were amused.

To this day,I only buy good couplers, and I don't un-couple air lines unless I have a firm grip on the female end.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Go to

and bring up page 230.

1/4" "Industrial" is the generic size and style you find at HF, home depot etc. most common for construction trades and homeowner tools. Lot of construction folks also use the 3/8" size, looks the same just larger. Also comes in 1/2" and larger.

"Automotive" / ARO is the other common style that looks similar but does not interchange. Also comes in different sizes.

There's a bunch more used for air lines, but you're unlikely to find them at mass-market retail.

One reason for the different styles is to segregate air sources and equipment e.g. clean dry air, oiled air, breathing air et. al. as the consequences of a mix-up could be quite high.

Reply to
Toolbert

As you say, a loose hose like that can whip somebody very badly. I know somebody who was done that way with a high pressure nitrogen line. After that they always used the wire basket restraint.

Jim

jim rozen

This might help the OP

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Toolbert gives a good explanation of the different series. As far as quality - it's hard to beat Cejn. I was a distributor for them for years and I think they make the finest coupling available - their web site is

and if memory serves correctly the "310" series is the industrial standard (with various sizes available). In addition to sales, we also did tool repairs and used Cejn at our test bench (and throughout the shop). These were coupled and uncoupled literally hundreds of times each week and they lasted for years. We ran over them with forklifts, stepped on them, dropped them and they performed like the Energizer Bunny. They also make couplers with neat features- they are "push to connect" meaning you don't need 3 hands to connect them - the collar remains back until you push the male into position and their "vented" line which holds the male and female parts together until the pressure is reduced which eliminates the "whip" when disconnected. They may be hard to find and a little more expensive but how many do you have to buy? I have a couple on my home compressor that have been on there for over 15 years so the cost per year is mighty cheap - too cheap to fool with junk couplers.

Reply to
Tom

Did they use 175psi on lug nuts?? that would explain why I had a hell of a time getting those off by hand! (dont carry impact wrench and compressor in my truck, although it would be handy!) :) walt

Reply to
wallsterr

They sure did... busted/stripped lugs were a daily thing too. They had

1/2" drive, long anvil CP impacts, and as I recall, they were almost no trouble, even though they looked as if they'd been used as rototiller tines. Each one had a double ended 3/4 X 13/16" wheel lug socket on it, the ones with the square drive in the middle (you just pull it off and flip it over for the other size). The sockets were Snap On, and looked to be many years old by the time I started, with no hint of ever once having a black oxide finish on them. Think they did though.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

On 13 Feb 2004 18:34:11 -0600, Barry S. brought forth from the murky depths:

In 1/4", there are two styles: Automotive and Industrial. I used to use Automotive because I was in that field. Now I use Industrial because more people use/stock them. I've had no problem with the HF parts so far. (Light duty)

Automotive has the fat end, Industrial has a narrow flange up from the end.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Do most auto shops use Automotive, Industrial, or both?

Good to know, I'll have to take a closer look at 'em.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

The problem that I've had with HF couplers is their leaking. I buy "universal" C-F couplers at HD for about what the leaky Industrial-only cost at HF. The "universal" accept both ARO and Industrial. I use some ARO plugs (it's a long story), so universal is an advantage.

I'm careful to buy solid brass couplers and plugs since I found rust inside one of my couplers. If your air is really dry, this won't be a problem for you.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

On 15 Feb 2004 00:13:07 -0600, Barry S. brought forth from the murky depths:

Yes. (I haven't worked in the automotive field since I hurt my back in '86, but I see more and more of the industrial style nowadays.)

Check around your town and with your friends. If your friends have one, get the other. Then they won't borrow your tools as much.

Reply to
Larry Jaques