Radiator solder

If corrosion's the problem, get a new one. If you have a puncture or a crack use "Nocorode" paste flux and 50/50 or there abouts. Clean is the key to a good job.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I soldered the radiator for an old Dodge and it held for the 5 years that I kept the vehicle. It had a couple of broken tubes in the radiator, so I peeled them out of the tanks on the top and bottom, then scrubbed the tank surfaces bright and shiny with sandpaper and a small wire brush. I fluxed it with some ancient paste flux and soldered a brass patch over the empty holes in the two tanks. I think I used my O/A rig with a 00 or a 000 tip to get a small flame with enough heat to do it quickly. Quick is important so that you don't unsolder adjacent tubes. It's been 30 years since I did it, but I remember it went pretty well.

Good Luck, Bob

Reply to
BobH

Hard solder - aka - silver solder. It is the only way. Braze.

Martin

Mart> Tell me what you know.

Martin H. Eastburn

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote: Hard solder - aka - silver solder. It is the only way. Braze. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You usually know things that I don't know, so please tell me. How are you going to silver solder a radiator that is assembled with soft solder?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Ive had good luck using the small wire brush that comes with the Dremel tools, for cleaning up the area around a leak in a radiator prior to soldering up the hole.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I've had good luck slapping on epoxy, hasn't leaked in years. Lost a couple of tubes on my tractor but it still cools the engine ;)

nick hull

Surely you jest !

Reply to
NewsGroups

unless you need a large roll, get a radiator shop to sell you a few yards of solder and bring a bottle for a pint of organic flux. I prefer 70/30, but many types are available. The Eutectic (longer heat range between liquid and re-solidified ) solder used for rads is much better than the crap for plumbing sold at your local hardware store.

used to build new replacement radiators for rare cars, and repair some. New stuff is much easier.The metal has to be absolutely clean and bright for the joint to hold and the solder to flow.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

No.

Eutectic melts at one temperature (361); below that it is solid, above fully liquid. Other ratios have a "pasty" stage in between that and the temperature at which they are fully liquid.

Reply to
_

I know that the gospel and power of Christ is on the Earth. Anything else?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No, No, that's belief, knowledge is totally something else. :)

cheers T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

You don't drop the whole radiator into a tank!

It is a spot treatment. Where the hole is.

This was taught to me by a Master Mechanic who had NASCAR grade background.

Consider what happened to me :

Driving my Blazer down the highway at 65 MPH, the front engine block section of the water jacket blew out. It was a massive gas cloud covering up the front of the truck. It was lucky I was able to move to the right by 5 lanes.

If you blow your radiator at high speed - you will loose the engine block like I did. wanna try - going to go for it or wait ? Not me.

Martin

Mart> "Martin H. Eastburn" wrote: Hard solder - aka - silver solder. It is the

Martin H. Eastburn

Nope - not at all. Why do you think I would ?

Soft solder dissolves and melts. Hard solder doesn't.

You can likely be able to use the phosphor bronze for air conditioning tubing as well.

Mart>

Martin H. Eastburn

You have no way to know what's going on in my mind. Please don't bother to try.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now that's a statement of fact! cheers T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

That's ok. No one cares, till you go postal.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell