Radiator solder

Tell me what you know.
Steve

If corrosion's the problem, get a new one. If you have a puncture or a crack use "Nocorode" paste flux and 50/50 or there abouts. Clean is the key to a good job.
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 01:20:43 GMT, "Tom Gardner"

Ive had good luck using the small wire brush that comes with the Dremel tools, for cleaning up the area around a leak in a radiator prior to soldering up the hole.
Gunner

I've had good luck slapping on epoxy, hasn't leaked in years. Lost a couple of tubes on my tractor but it still cools the engine ;)
SteveB wrote:

I soldered the radiator for an old Dodge and it held for the 5 years that I kept the vehicle. It had a couple of broken tubes in the radiator, so I peeled them out of the tanks on the top and bottom, then scrubbed the tank surfaces bright and shiny with sandpaper and a small wire brush. I fluxed it with some ancient paste flux and soldered a brass patch over the empty holes in the two tanks. I think I used my O/A rig with a 00 or a 000 tip to get a small flame with enough heat to do it quickly. Quick is important so that you don't unsolder adjacent tubes. It's been 30 years since I did it, but I remember it went pretty well.
Good Luck, Bob
Hard solder - aka - silver solder. It is the only way. Braze.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
SteveB wrote:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote: Hard solder - aka - silver solder. It is the only way. Braze. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You usually know things that I don't know, so please tell me. How are you going to silver solder a radiator that is assembled with soft solder?
unless you need a large roll, get a radiator shop to sell you a few yards of solder and bring a bottle for a pint of organic flux. I prefer 70/30, but many types are available. The Eutectic (longer heat range between liquid and re-solidified ) solder used for rads is much better than the crap for plumbing sold at your local hardware store. http://www.alchemycastings.com/lead-products/solder.htm I used to build new replacement radiators for rare cars, and repair some. New stuff is much easier.The metal has to be absolutely clean and bright for the joint to hold and the solder to flow.
--
Stupendous Man,
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 07:29:48 -0700, Stupendous Man wrote:

No.
Eutectic melts at one temperature (361); below that it is solid, above fully liquid. Other ratios have a "pasty" stage in between that and the temperature at which they are fully liquid.
You don't drop the whole radiator into a tank!
It is a spot treatment. Where the hole is.
This was taught to me by a Master Mechanic who had NASCAR grade background.
Consider what happened to me :
Driving my Blazer down the highway at 65 MPH, the front engine block section of the water jacket blew out. It was a massive gas cloud covering up the front of the truck. It was lucky I was able to move to the right by 5 lanes.
If you blow your radiator at high speed - you will loose the engine block like I did. wanna try - going to go for it or wait ? Not me.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Leo Lichtman wrote:

Surely you jest !

Nope - not at all. Why do you think I would ?
Soft solder dissolves and melts. Hard solder doesn't.
You can likely be able to use the phosphor bronze for air conditioning tubing as well.
Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
NewsGroups wrote:

I know that the gospel and power of Christ is on the Earth. Anything else?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

No, No, that's belief, knowledge is totally something else. :)
cheers T.Alan
You have no way to know what's going on in my mind. Please don't bother to try.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Now that's a statement of fact! cheers T.Alan
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's ok. No one cares, till you go postal.
--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file