Rat lapping

Has anyone heard of a metalworking process called "rat lapping"? I am researching an old firm and found a reference in Google Books which
lists them as " PRODUCT Precision Rat Lapping & Grinding". Is this actually a process, or is it just an OCR error when it should say "Part Lapping"?
Best wishes,
Chris
On 11/04/2010 11:45 AM, Christopher Tidy wrote:

My dog laps up little baby rabbits and birds and things -- I think he'd lap a rat right up.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

My conjecture would be that this is an OCR merger of F and l. There is a machine in the shop like that for lapidary materials. But the concept of seeing how rodents would do turning through a maze built on a vibrating platform might have parallels to human behavior in earthquakes.
Regards,
EH

The most common industrial venue for flat laps in my experience is in optical shops, so if your reference has any relevance to lens or glass working, that would implicate the process.
Regards,
EH

Flat lapping is legitimate. Think microns, such as optical flats. Maybe Chinese?
ww

I did wonder if the word was flat. Here's the picture: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-IntAAAAMAAJ&q=%22rat+lapping%22
According to Google, it's "rat". But flat or part sounds more sensible.
Chris
On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 12:41:46 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Tidy

404 error.

SWAG: Perhaps scraping/lapping with a rat-tail file which was ground into a scraper? <shrug>
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

    Likely an artifact of the OCR and a ligature of 'f' and 'l'. I know that "fi" used to be commonly printed as a ligature (squished together, so the dot of the 'i' merges with the ball on the top of the loop of a lower-case 'f' in certain type faces.
    Check this web page on the subject:
        <http://www.will-harris.com/ligatures.htm
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Or an OCR spellcheck correction of 'frat lapping'?
On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 09:43:25 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins

Sounds like a very fun coed college sport.
-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

The more I think about it, the more I think it is "Flat". After all "Fl" looks fairly close to "R" in some fonts. Thanks for the sensible suggestion!
Chris

Isn't that when you set up an automated machine, come back, and find a rat squished in the works?
Dave
Dave__67 wrote:

Well, there are lap dogs, and lab rats, and lab dogs, are there lap rats?
Cheers! Rich

Check out the failed rat: http://www.aaroncake.net/misc/wallpain.htm
Chris
I had an encounter with one of those last week. The Kido came into the shop to do some speech homework with me for 15 minutes. I was eating peanuts and tossing the shells into some kind of round military can 14"w X 15" h that is beside and under the cantilever of a smooth sided work bench. After numerous tosses of shells I noticed a mouse in the far side of the can cringing every time the shells where thrown at it and staring at me. When I looked closer it's tail looked like it got smashed in two places it the past.
The Kido said don't kill it, and since there where only peanut shells in the trash can we drove it down to the end of the road about 1/4 mile. I dumped out the can and it ran down the hill.
24 hours later I tossed something in the can and there was the same mouse staring back at me ! I was kinda wondering how it got into there in the first place and now this.
Twin mice with a genetic mistake in their tails? Lost pets that travel great distances to get back home? Time loops inside the military can that was once on the USS Eldridge ?
SW

1/4 mile is not nearly far enough if you don't want it to come back to you....

Ecnerwal wrote:

For sure.
When I was 12, my dad bought a bike in an adjacent town and told me to ride it home, 6 miles away.
I paid more careful attention to our route on car rides, after that. Heh.
--Winston
On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 10:27:20 -0500, Ecnerwal

1320-2000 feet isn't enough, hmmm.
I am new to this country stuff, kinda.
Cats and dogs must be really hard to get rid of. Just kidding pet lovers.
I'd love to figure out these ^*#!$ flys. How do they propagate? Out of the dirt? And they just stop for the winter. Soon as it gets warm they come back to life.
SW
Sunworshipper wrote:

An angry rat on a mission to tick you off? ;-)
enough left over to pay them.
Sunworshipper wrote:

Free meals.
Was the mouse wearing a little sombrero? ;-)
Thanks, Rich