Update on Mary

I have friends here that care, other readers please ignore.

We were at Mayo Monday and Wednesday.

We now have a course of action and treatment.

Diagnosis is 99% sure that Mary's disease is primary light-chain amyloidosis involving her heart and gut. The 1% doubt that will be resolved with lab results not yet available concerns the particular form of the disease but it's really a matter of i-dotting and t-crossing confirmation of other diagnostic results.

This is an incurable disease, a form of cancer. It's akin to leukemia in that it involves white blood cells, different in that it involves different white cells.

It's rare, 8 people per million rare. Nobody knows more about it than Mayo. It is a very difficult disease to treat because it has many dimensions and manifestations, and interactions with other issues like cardiac, gastrointestinal and all other organs though Mary's issues at present are cardiac and GI.

Because there is clearly cardiac involvement and damage, sudden death by heart failure is more probable than for a person without such damage. We agree that sudden death by heart failure or whatever purely beats the hell out of a lingering death fraught with pain. Neither of us wants to survive the other. We've been teammates since forever. We each and both are a bit selfish in not wanting to be a grieving survivor, and we share a sense of humor about that. It's a bad idea to piss my Mary off, but she does appreciate a good joke.

We think we have top-notch professionals in hemotology, oncology and cardiology on Mary's team.

An initial chemotherapy regimen has been defined, which Mary will begin immedately. Meanwhile, the cardiologists will try to manage the conflicting issues of low blood pressure (hence seriously diminished physical capacity) vs edema, vs side effects from the chemo.

Mary's sense of humor is undiminished.

The cardiologist of late appointment today, upon first encounter with Mary, noted discoloration of her nose. What up with that? I paraphrase, the cardiologist was Indian, not Afro. Anyway, Mar noted that a fellow patient in an aside in the waiting room said "I sure hope you're having a better day than I am." The guy was 79 and we think that he received some very bad news about either himself or his wife but probably himself (the self-centered asshole!) I'd noticed the despair in this man when he plopped into a chair in the waiting area but I didn't observe the interaction between him and Mary. Mary had cried a bit for him so her nose was red.

Why do I love her so?

We noted this evening that Rochester is 90 minutes bed-to-bed. That's an easy commute. We'll probably be doing that with some frequency.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Hang in there, Don. Please convey our good wishes to Mary as well.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

My prayers are with Mary..and with you.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Don, Thanks for the update. Please tell Mary our prayers are with her.

I've also spent serious time at Mayo for my son. No question you are at the best in the world. I also spent a LOT of time at the hospital in Coon Rapids for the same problem. That may be your local hosipital. I hope to not return there.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Don, I'll pray for the both of you.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

My best wishes to you Don.

Ignoramus30154

I'll be thinking of you both Don. I hope your happy partnership continues for a long time, and that Mary remains comfortable throughout.

All the best

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

Shit, shit, shit. Condolences to both of you, Don.

Good. Have you called Drs. House and/or Wilson out of retirement yet?

Suckage.

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

=A0 Cancer is an obscenity,

I am sorry.

Reply to
toolbreaker

Remember the Serenity Prayer.

Reply to
Denis G.

Don, you've spent enough days under the bus to know that it's the days you DON'T spend under the bus that make all the difference. And even on the bad days, there's tenderness and love. My best to you and Mary. It is refreshing to see two people today who love each other as much as you two do.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

My prayers are with you both. May God give you strength and continued good humor. Rex

Reply to
RBnDFW

She (and you) will be in my prayers, Karl. Give her my respects too.

Reply to
CaveLamb

You do have friends that care. If you can think of anything we can do, let up know.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Best wishes for successful treatment and management of the condition.

Reply to
Pete C.

Don, stay strong for both of you. Best of luck. I don't think you can do more than you have.

-- sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Indeed you do, and I count myself among them, politics be damned.

You also both have excellent attitudes, and that can make a world of difference in quality of life - ant that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Hang in there.

RS

Reply to
rangerssuck

Best of luck - cancer's a bitch.

We lost my dad two years ago, and it took a year just for my mom to start recovering. There is life after a loved-one's death, even if things look pretty damn dark when it happens.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Wow, bad news! So sorry to hear it! Well, of course, with really rare diseases, nobody really knows the prognosis all that well, so it might not be as bad as it seems. You (both) could get lucky!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. If you are are at Mayo, you are doing everything you can.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee