rehabing an old gas tank

I have on old pickup, dodge-200 1962, that someone has added saddle tanks to. I have not used these tanks so the gas in them is atleast

15yrs old.

I have used the main tank for all these years so everything from the main tank through the 3-way switch and to the engine is OK.

What is the best way to clean the tanks up so I can use them?

The tanks are well-build thick gauge galvizined steel, brass fittings and copper tubing runs to a 3way switch.

More details: When I removed the gas cap it has sealed itself with varnish and there was a lot of creamy colored residue inside the filler neck. When I removed the gas line no gas came out. It too was sealed with varnish. I had to poke a hole through the varnish with a wire to get the old gas to run out.

The gas is a deep reddish color.

Any help or advise would be welcome. Al

Reply to
Al

Syphon out all the old gas you can and put a gallon of solvent in and drive it around for a week to losen up stuff.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Reply to
JR North

there is stuff called "sloshing compound" used on aircraft gas tanks, also sold to the antique car hobby (where this is common - my 36 cad had a hole in the gas tank you could put a gerbil through). clean the tank, if you suspect the metal, you can use the sloshing compound.

Reply to
william_b_noble

I have heard that a phosphoric acid solution will clean gas tanks out very well, not sure of the concentration needed, but probably low, follow with boiling water & baking soda rinse to neutralize, blow out with compressed air, and then acetone or alcohol rinse to displace any moisture left by the water/soda rinse.

Do a little "google" research.

-Tom

Reply to
TT

Acetone will dissolve that varnish. It will take a bit of agitation, though. I'd drain the tank, get a long inspection mirror, and look around in the tank to see where the level of the varnish is. Good luck with doing it with the tanks mounted on the truck. Perhaps a drive over a bumpy road?

Gary

Reply to
Gary Brady

Eastwood sells a kit for this purpose:

Watch the line wrap. You'll probably need to cut & paste the URL to your browser. Or, search for "gas tank" from the main page.

-Ron

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

You might also drop in a handfull of big lead shot to agitate and burnish. Won't hurt to leave it in there after they are put in service.

Reply to
Rex B

Eastwood is an auto restoration supply house. Great catalog, prices are a bit steep, but lots of unique things you can't get elsewhere. They have a line of products for gas tank repair and reconditioning. If you can't google 'em up, I'll check for an address for you. Great customer service.

It goes without saying, I hope, that you should never approach a gas tank with any sort of flame or cutting tool. I went to a call

5 years ago or so for someone who was torch cutting an "empty" gas tank. He did not do well after the "empty" tank exploded.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Take them to a radiator shop and have them hot tanked. Oh,....let them keep the varnish.

Reply to
wws

Best advice so far. It's not that hard to drop the tanks. You will also have to inspect the level sending units. "Hot tanking" is what the professionals do for a good reason.

Reply to
bw