Cordless Electrical Snow Blower

I have had this Toro 18 inch corded electrical snow thrower "Toro #38025

1800 Power Curve Snow Thrower - Snowblower" I have done a lots with batteries lately
and
a nice day in Philly today that I decided to take my electric snow thrower apart to see if I can use a DC motor for power. I have two "made for the small personal scooter motors", runs from 12 to 24 volts DC. The AC motor in the machine is sized about the same as the DC motor. I can drill the existing front motor plate and mount the DC motor. The DC motor has a 5/16 shaft with a flat. The Ac motor has a threaded 3/4 inch wide .647 inch timing belt pulley. MSC has this size as timing belt pulley stock 5 inch long
at 48 dollars, I plan to machine my pulley. There is room for batteries on the plane that the motor in on. Has any one done this or know of a source for a timing belt pulley this size. 5/16 bore, .647 O.D. 3/4 wide, no flange.
Reply to
Bill Cotton

I just made two timing belt pulleys last week. Read the thread on breaking endmills with me as OP.

The best tip I got was to make a fly cutter with the tooth profile. Then its just two passes at each tooth, might have been able to do it in one shot. I happened to have a devlieg boring bar that made a really nice fly cutter with a devleig insert. Read up in Machinery handbook for size specifications. I'm kinda thick headed, it took awhile for me to understand - ask if'n you don't get it after reading and thinking a bit.

After getting the dividing head setup and cutter profile correct, it only took a few minutes of machine time. Of course, I had to f%$& the first one up. Normal for me.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:y%4Xd.3872$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

I couldn't find Your thread. I sorted by name. Yes a fly cutter is the way I plan to go. I have a 5c index spin jig. It has

10 vernier holes and a 36 holes plate Enco part #891-6020. So 18 spaces is gotten without using the vernier.
Reply to
Bill Cotton

I'd be interested in seeing your power requirement estimates and battery size/weight/running time calculations.

Have you measured the present ac motor's running current when it's actually throwing wet snow?

Sounds like fun, but I doubt I could ever make practical use of one like that. We have a 110 foot long sloping driveway here in Red Sox Country and it takes me about an hour to clean it, plus the parking area and our front path after a "decent" snowfall here. That's using my little 25"

1965 Ariens SnoThro, still going strong on it's original Tecumseh engine.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Spin jig should work fine. Turn your part in the lathe first. Look up the OD in machinery handbook. While still in the lathe turn yourself a handle to go in the 5C collet you plan to use. That way everything is right on center. I'd also bore your pulley hole at the same time.

I looked up the specs for tooth form in the handbook, used my baldor diamond carbide grinder with angle table to get the angles just right and then an optical comparator to get the width and radii just right. But my job was for a servo drive on my CNC, I needed to be real fussy, no backlash allowed. For your app, I bet you could just grind the cutter to fit an existing pulley.

Good luck

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Reply to
JR North

I have two 24V electric scooters. These scooters have 250 watt motors which equates to about 1/4 HP. I don't think that will move much snow.

Even my 36 Volt scooter only has a 350 watt motor which is still less than 1/2 HP.

My point is that I don't think a scooter motor will have anywhere near enough power to make a snow blower.

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

A car starter motor would, but they're intermittent duty 30 seconds on, 15 minutes off - not a viable duty cycle for the use. One of the

2HP DC treadmill motors would have the oomph and the duty cycle - but you would need some serious amp-hours from big batteries to turn it for more than 5 minutes at a shot, and a lot of them to get 90V DC...

Then you get into the temperature effects on the batteries, unless you store and recharge the thrower in a well heated garage, and keep the batteries good and warm while in use, you won't get anywhere near their rated power capacity.

Sorry, but I have to agree that the energy needs to run it properly don't make a battery powered snow-thrower a viable idea. Unless you're only clearing a stoop and 5 feet of walk, in which case an extension cord shouldn't be a problem. And if using utility power is out, that calls for a good old SHOVEL.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I use a cordless Black and Decker cordless lawn mower. I get about one hour of run time from it, a parts list picture is here of the motor and 24 volt battery.

That replacement cost of motor and battery are over 100 dollars each. I will be buying a replacement battery next year, the recharge limit is due about that time. I have open the mower to see about making the battery easy to remove for longer runs. since I now stop and do the edge trimming while the mower in on short charge, I put that job off. I may stop by the parts repair center and take some measurement, I may not have to make a pulley, switch the motor each season. That would be a blast. I made the cutter holder and will cut the pulley soon, Flower Show today, A Philly sign that the snow is over this year.

Reply to
Bill Cotton

Put my index spin fixture to use, I made a arbor, offset fly cutter holder and fly cutting grooving tool for the timing belt pulley. I was able to use the scooter motor mounting plate as a template to drill the mounting holes away from the AC motor holes in that plate, so that I can return the snow thrower to AC use for heavy snow.

Bill Cotton