Treadmill motor on Shoptask 3in 1 lathe

I was given a Sears' Lifestyler 1400 treadmill. I wanted to get lower speeds
from the lathe. I previously install the low speed idle pulley set on my
Shoptask. However it is not very easy to change back and forth. I replaced
the lathe motor with the direct current motor and controls from the thread I
was able to use one of the idle pulleys on the DC motor. The pulleys with
the bronze bushing removed, has a 5/8 inch bore and key way, the same sizes
as the DC motor. I only needed to buy a setscrew for the pulley. Two of the
treadmill motor mounts holes line up with the AC lathe motor mounting plate.
A DPDT toggle switch is added to the control panel to reverse the spindle.
The order on the webpage left to right: Overview, motor, pulley and front of
motor and modifies control panel.
The speed indicator reads in tenth of mile and is controlled by a magnet
pickup. I am looking into a conversion formula and mounting the magnet
someplace on the spindle for RPM readout. Pictures are on my WebPages at

Bill Cotton
Good job on the modification..very clean.
xman
Reply to
xmradio
[ ... ]
Nice job -- but I see one thing which worries me. I would add some kind of chip deflector over the vent holes near the free end of the motor, to keep chips from shorting the commutator and brushes -- or even just wearing them out prematurely.
Enjoy, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
Thanks DoN. When I removed the ac motor, a lots on chips came out of it vents and they are at the rear of the motor. I have very little clearance between the bottom of the carriage and the motor, however, it will be covered quickly. I will rig a cover somehow.
Reply to
Bill Cotton