Treadmill motor on Shoptask 3in 1 lathe

I was given a Sears' Lifestyler 1400 treadmill. I wanted to get lower speeds from the lathe. I previously install the low speed idle pulley set on my
Shoptask. However it is not very easy to change back and forth. I replaced the lathe motor with the direct current motor and controls from the thread I was able to use one of the idle pulleys on the DC motor. The pulleys with the bronze bushing removed, has a 5/8 inch bore and key way, the same sizes as the DC motor. I only needed to buy a setscrew for the pulley. Two of the treadmill motor mounts holes line up with the AC lathe motor mounting plate. A DPDT toggle switch is added to the control panel to reverse the spindle. The order on the webpage left to right: Overview, motor, pulley and front of motor and modifies control panel. The speed indicator reads in tenth of mile and is controlled by a magnet pickup. I am looking into a conversion formula and mounting the magnet someplace on the spindle for RPM readout. Pictures are on my WebPages at www.billcotton.com/shoptask.htm
--
www.billcotton.com

Good job on the modification..very clean.
xman

    [ ... ]

    Nice job -- but I see one thing which worries me. I would add some kind of chip deflector over the vent holes near the free end of the motor, to keep chips from shorting the commutator and brushes -- or even just wearing them out prematurely.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Thanks DoN. When I removed the ac motor, a lots on chips came out of it vents and they are at the rear of the motor. I have very little clearance between the bottom of the carriage and the motor, however, it will be covered quickly. I will rig a cover somehow.