Reinventing the wheel!

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:42:41 -0600 in rec.crafts.metalworking, "Roger_N" wrote,

No, they just copied the earlier Kel-light aluminum flashlight.

Reply to
David Harmon

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:25:29 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

I've only seen 1 picture of one which cut the side rather than the top, and I didn't see any reference to a replaceable lid in the ad. It doesn't seem possible to split a can at one point and expect the metal to stretch on one and shrink on the other. Not safely, anyway. ;)

Good question.

-- Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives. -- A. Sachs

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes. Pampered Chef.

Kinda pricey, but they work. Goin' on 5 years and hundreds of cans with ours. Daughter has one too, same experience.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Williams-Sonoma has a good one, but they are about double "Kinda pricey". It's nice to be able to sit the lid back on stuff like corn and condensed milk for Vietnamese-style drip coffee. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Another wrinkle to this: a design approach that didn't make sense in the past might make sense now (and conversely) because things do change. Change and progress is often driven by events and markets totally unrelated to a particular focus. Use a digital computer as a simple timer? Heresy in 1970 when CPU time was billed by the second, absolutely when the digital computer became a chip costing less than a buck.

I found quite a few opportunities that started with: "we studied that in detail 10 years ago, found that it made no sense." The conclusion has become axiom and "accepted truth" even though the bases behind the conclusion are long forgotten.

Reply to
Don Foreman

The lid already fits inside the can, and is affixed and sealed by rolling a bead. The can opener cuts the bead radially on the outside edge. The lid stays in the can after it's opened but lifts out easily -- and can be replaced. There's even a little pliers-like jaw on the can opener to grab the lid part of the severed bead and lift out the lid.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Pa! Someone done went and ate all them cats!!!!!!! We's gonna all starve!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No need - just remove the blade nut from the Swing-Away, and remove a shim or two to reduce clearance.

Reply to
Jordan

I honestly haven't found a mouse trap that works better than the second one made. The first one would be the cat I suppose.

Reply to
Dan

That model has too many moving parts, and wears out too fast. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not as long as one has neighbors one doesnt like.

Longpig is the other, other white meat.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

But -- it is self-resetting and relocates to surprise the mice instead of them learning where the humans set the traps. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:07:50 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Don Foreman quickly quoth:

Ah, consternation turns to elucidation. (Quid Mulberg in plano?) That's a heavy-duty opener if it cuts the bead. I'll have to check those doohickeys out.

-- Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives. -- A. Sachs

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:44:25 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Dan@ (Dan ) quickly quoth:

Huh? After having to feed, then neuter them, putting up with loud nights, their territory marking, pooping, and furniture/people scratching, not to mention the fur all the eff over EVERYTHING, the cat cannot be considered the better mousetrap. Especially at 1,500 times the price.

-- Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives. -- A. Sachs

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Do you have any good recipes for troll? Or can't they be cleaned enough to cook?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Trolls are like Politicians: Once you get one cleaned out all you have left is a hide that's tougher than old boot leather.

OTOH, if you can find a way to administer it, EX-LAX is generally fatal to both...

Reply to
Eregon

We use a plastic mousetrap that works much better than the Victor. Easy to set, and we don't even bait it: just set it facing the wall, and the mice since they prefer to run along the wall, climb onto it because it's in the way and get nailed. Every time. This is it, here:

Definition of tomcat: ball-bearing mousetrap.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

Did you ever see that old Sci-Fi movie, with the 50 foot monster and the giant syringe?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Which one - the 50' Man or the 50' Woman?

Reply to
Eregon

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 03:40:07 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Eregon quickly quoth:

those days when you have to deal with one inflamed asshole after another...