Questions about Wheel spacers for a truck

A friend asked me about making spacers to make the front wheels on his 4wd pickup truck sit farther out. He is running non-standard, steel
wheels on the truck. The wheels are 8 lug, on a 6 1/4" bolt circle. The lug nuts look like the standard lug nuts with the conical face toward the wheel. Before diving into a project like this, a few questions came up:
How do steel wheels locate to the hub? Do they locate on the lug bolt/nuts? Do they locate on the hub in the center of the bolt circle?
Would 6061 T6 be suitable for making a wheel spacer? The spacer will be about 0.6 thick, and the lugs are long enough to pull up with plenty of space.
Thanks in advance, BobH
On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 18:32:31 -0700, BobH

If it is a "sandwich" spacer with long studs, 6061T6 is plenty good enough. The wheels are stud-centric, but having an accurate hub center shure doesn't hurt - I'd make the spacer fit snugly on the exixting axle stub, with an accurately centered stub on the spacer, with the holes for the stud a snug fit over the studs - so the studs are supported by the spacer, and the wheels centered by both studs and wheel center.
On 12/8/2015 6:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

snip

This is pretty much what I had in mind. Thanks, BobH
On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 20:43:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

+1. Especially for a truck, I'd want to have the extra strength from that center support, rather than relying on only the stud strength, when going through deep ruts with a full load in a 4WD scenario.
I've always been wary of those centerless, elongated-hole adapter plates for aluminum mags.
--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.

I had L50 x 15 Crager SS Mags on the back of my old El Camino. They used a universal aluminum adapter plate, 5 long lug nuts. Anyway I got into a fender bender where I guy ran into the side of me pulling out of a parking lot. Most of the damage was on the front-left corner but some how it caught the Mag and bent the rear axle. New rear axle, re-mounted the Mag (with a slight ding in it) with all the old hardware. It all ran smooth again...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

They are fine for a show vehicle - not so good for a GO vehicle.
On 09-Dec-15 9:32 AM, BobH wrote:

Have you looked at buying them off the shelf? They used to be much cheaper than you could make them for.
On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 13:18:56 +0800
<snip>

Depending on how far you want to space them out:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
$6.50 for 1/4 inch to $130 for a pair of 3 inch.
At least the original poster can see some pictures of how it is being done commercially...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Cheap in the USA, but not so cheap by the time you get them up to Canada - and not cheap from Canadian suppliers in my experience. If you need more than half an inch, don't have long enough studs, or are changing bolt patterns- BUY.